PMT Forum
Do you want to make money today? :)

Investing in MUTUAL FUNDS

a_lacsa · 293 · 126592

ocirejgm

^ maganda rin sana yung Kabuhayan. Kpag nakita nyo ung website nila, i try nyo yung calculator. Ma aamaze kayo sa kikitain nyo in 20 years, with monthly contribution of about 5K!

p!nk

• Forum Expert 500

xxdunhillxx

• Forum Master 300
^oo nga. ano ba yung link? baka pwede ilagay dito ... di naman siguro uso referral link sa mga ganito.  :D

nailbiter

• Alalay ng
Link sa Kabuhayan Fund: http://www.mutualfund.com.ph/Kfund/

Sa money.inq7.net, may Mutual Fund Report, listahan ng mutual funds along with their NAVPS and performance.

Heto pang isang reference, Investment Company Association of the Philippines:

http://www.icap.com.ph/factsfignavps.asp

ocirejgm

Miss/Sir, nailbiter (di ko ksi alam kung girl ka o boy , sorry)

Thanks sa pagpopost ng link sa website ng kabuhayanfund. Nakalimutan ko kasi, eh hehehehe.  :-*

ocirejgm

Back d2 sa dalawang fund na pinaguusapan natin, Mas pinili ko yung Philequity kasi nga mas mataas ang average return nila kaysa sa Kabuhayan. Mas madali din ang access para sa akin kasi nga meron representative branch d2 sa pasig. Pero tingin ko maganda rin yung kabuhayanfund. Meron pa nga ata silang online account? wherein you can actually see the performance of your MF.

bukojoe

Most Funds on the Philippines are categorized as follows:

Equity Funds
 - funds that mainly invest in the Philippine Stock Market (mostly blue chips) (high risk)
Bond Funds
 - funds that invest on goverment securities (bonds) (low risk)
Balanced Funds
 - funds that have 50% bonds and 50% equity investments medium risk
Index Fund (there is only 1 index fund in the Philippines)

You can read the prospectus and see what type of funds they are and if they fit on your investment objectives. As always Mutual Funds investing is for long term and one of the best way to accumulate future nest money is through investing through these funds regularly. Make sure you don't touch this money and the money you place here are surplus funds (after having savings aside). For me, I categorized my investment in Mutual Funds as "payables" monthly when doing my budjet. Long term investment horizon is what I'm after (10-15 yrs).

I would try to stay away from $$ denominated bonds. This is just me although our goals might be different.

Some of the companies that offer mutual funds:

1. Sunlife Financials (offers: bond,equity,money market,etc,$$ denominated) www.sunlife.com.ph (listed as: SLF on PSE)
   Min Investment: 10K subsequent 5K
2. PhilEquity
   Min Investment: www.philequity.net
   Min Investment: 5K subsequent: 2.5K (not so sure)
3. Philam Fund http://www.philamfunds.com/
4. ATR-Kim
...and many others http://www.pse.com.ph/html/MarketInformation/mutualfunds.jsp

Some of the things you should consider when investing on a mutual fund.
http://money.inq7.net/advice/view_advice.php?yyyy=2006&mon=03&dd=09&file=1

Btw, when choosing at a mutual fund, dont look at its NAVPS (Net Asset Value Per Share) to determine if its cheap or not,
a fund's NAVPS can be 500PHP or can be 1.55PHP. It doesn't mean that a fund with 500PHP NAVPS is already expensive. e.g. you can get more shares on 1.55 NAVPS fund that the 500PHP NAVPS fund. The most important thing is the returns the funds generate and how well it can manage your money in times of financial crisis (that is why sometimes its better to invest on funds that are around 5+ yrs, although not always the case).

ocirejgm, ano ba yung kabuhayan fund?

FutureGizmo

• Admin
^ Nice way to summarize it, bukojoe! Very helpful post you've got there  ;)

Sabi nga nila, 5 years daw yung magandang period for you to lock in your funds. Three years is ok but anything less than that is risky and does not guarantee you returns.

earn4real

• Forum Tambay 100
5 years? Sana safe yung money at hindi mag-collapse yung economy. Naaapektuhan din ba ng inflation at currency exchange yung mga funds?

nailbiter

• Alalay ng
earn4real, kaya importanteng pumili ng MF na maganda ang rep ng fund managers. Kung may mga pagbabago sa market, sila ang bahalang mag-respond, maglipat-lipat ng investments, tipong ganyan.

bukojoe

hi earn4real,

the main reason why you would want to invest your money on mutual funds is to protect it from inflation (rather than have it in cash).....

for $$ denominated funds, currency exchange risk is there, the reason I don't like $$ denominated funds is that the USD is losing value against major currency for the last 5 yrs and my investment horizon on MF's are in long term. You can do something like this:

Your total liquid funds:

40% Cash
60% Investments

If Mutual Funds are the only available investment for you at the moment, you can invest 70% of that 60% on Equity Fund and 30% on Bond Fund.

As you grow older, the need to shift more % on Bond Funds will suffice and less on equity fund. (some strategy is usually 30% Equity, 70% Bond)

Now some also invest 50% of the 40% cash on MoneyMarket funds (this funds are for short term investments, and gives better rate than savings).

It basically drives down to your goal... and when you will need that money..

so make sure that once you invest, all money management are in place, you have a mix of cash (for emergency),bonds and equities.

disclosure: am not a financial advisor ha hehe, I'm just an investment enthusiast and like every one else, want's financial freedom :)

5 years? Sana safe yung money at hindi mag-collapse yung economy. Naaapektuhan din ba ng inflation at currency exchange yung mga funds?

ocirejgm

update lang po sa mga funds na napagusapan na po di2: as of may 19, 2006,

Philequity's yearly return % is at 36% +, currently the highest MF return.
Second ang sa ATR-Kim at 33%

ang philam (stock) nasa 26%

Yung sa kabuhayan di ko makita. Ang alam ko iisa lang ang handler ng ATR-Kim at Kabuhayan. Anyone care to look on this? Kasi Ang ATR-Kim ata ang me pinakamalaking funds sa lahat ng stock MF, with good performance. Kung hawak nila ng Kabuhayan, malamang maganda rin ang maging performance nito (Kabuhayan is a young MF pa kasi.)

nailbiter

• Alalay ng
I posted a reference on the previous page, ocirejgm, but here's the link again:

http://www.icap.com.ph/factsfignavps.asp

Nakalista silang lahat diyan, NAVPS, 1 yr, 3 yr, 5 yr, YTD returns.

ocirejgm

^ uy, thanks pala ulit sa link. bump ko lang po itong thread. It seems na mas magandang maginvest sa MF ngayon kaysa sa UITF. Maraming natalo dun eh. While yung 15K ko po sa MF ko, after 3.5 months 16,900 na po. Maliit yung return, pero atleast di lugi.  :b_peace:

FutureGizmo

• Admin
Yung Sunlife Equity MF ko, during the surge of the Philippine stock market, umabot ang return sa 40% of my principal. Ngayon, two weeks later, naging 30% na lang. Ok na rin :)

gr8collector

• Forum Champion 700
im thinking of investing in ATR Kim Eng Opportunity Fund and First Metro Save and Learn Equity Fund.  Any feedback regarding these mutual funds?

ocirejgm

Uy, uu nga, maganda ata ngayon ung First Metro, investment arm yan ng MetroBank. Bago pa nga lang pero mataas ng YTD nila, huling tingin ko, nasa 32%, while my philequity, nasa 22% Actually, nangangalap din me ng info about it. Sana meron me alam lalo na kung magkano ang minimum.

:confused:

gr8collector

• Forum Champion 700
ok guys.  just invested in both ATR Kim Eng and First Metro equity funds.  Ill post often how these two funds are performing. 

ocirejgm

Magkano po ang minimum sa First Metro? Meron din ba itong tax?

« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2006, 07:31 AM by nailbiter »

Ping

• VIP 3500
oo nga, sino pwede mag bigay ng Tutor 101 re First Metro? 

@nailbiter, diba mother mo ba ang connected sa SunLife Investment?  Ok ba or advisable ba if months lang ang placement?

:rolleyes:

nailbiter

• Alalay ng
Sa MFs? To really make it worth your while, it's better to leave it longer than a few months. Lalo na pag shaky ang market. May sales load din kasi so maigi, pakitain mo muna. May isang option sa Sunlife na exempt na sa exit fee pag lagpas two years na yung investment. Choice mo naman upon buying the MF kung gusto mong front-end o back-end yung sales load.

kahel

• Forum Master 300
Ay grabe!  :eek:  Nakikisakay nga lang kami sa MF ng sister-in-law ko.  BUmagsak pa lately.  Sana gumanda na ang takbo ng market para mahatak na ulit.

Mike QC

• Mover and Shaker
  • Forum Champion 900
Well, that's the way it is in MFs at volatile din sila. It also depends which type(s) you have.  Ito ngang mga sa akin based on my experience, minsan loss talaga yung iba by year-end BUT the succeeding years naman either nakabawi or sobrang bawi naman.  Basta kailangan lang talaga pag MF's you gotta make sure your goal is long term at hindi yung 1 or 2 years lang (make it at least 10 years or longer as much as possible) and of course you should be highly diversified.  At dapat DON'T panic kung may loss ka.... I even increase my NAVs pag bear ang market.  (For example... If I have been investing $100 per month, I would make it $200 per month during bear markets). Just imagine itong mga sa akin since 1993 pa ako nag start and I was really young during that time and now I'm reaping the rewards for my patience and perseverance.  I quit working since I was 32.  I'm not saying that I am rich because I am NOT. Ang masasabi ko lang is I am comfortable enough & more relax now with my life and got more quality time for my family and myself.  Remember, the ideal life is you should make the money work for you instead of you working for the money.   

gr8collector

• Forum Champion 700
thats the way to go Mike.  Passive income is the best kind of income.  Dapat talaga pag mutual funds long term and thinking ng investors.  historically speaking, kikita ka talaga dito compared kung nakatulog ang savings nyo sa bank.  there is a bit of a risk factor though pero IMO maliit lang. 
I myself just keep enough cash in the bank for 3 months living expenses and the rest kung saan saan ko na inilalagay (UITFs, MFs, HYIPs, MAs).  I just make sure na diversifies para kung meron man lang bumigay, madami and sumasalo.

pinkguitar

any updates on mutual funds, guys?  :confused:

FutureGizmo

• Admin
Anong klaseng update po ang hanap mo sa mutual funds, pinkguitar? ;) Ang performance ng mutual fund ay depende sa mutual fund company at sa klase ng mutual fund investment under that company. You can download the updated returns of mutual funds in the country in the INQ7 Money site.

Pyramus

Interesting ... nakaka enganyong mag-invest any recommendation sa stable & reputable MF company?

Pyramus

Hi guy's im interested to invest sa MF under kabuhayan fund.  I'll be coming back to phils. this wednesday kase so i'm planning to personally dropby the office at makati.
Pero was planning to invest at s small value first.  Tanong ko lang po kase di ko pa try invest s mga offshore investments na ito once i invested in this small amount does it mean na i need to invest monthly with the same value? or can I suddenly increase the investment a few months later?  Do i need also to pay monthly what would happen if i suddenly stop few months and reinvested again after a few months?  Pasensya na po hingi lang po ng guidance.  :confused:

FutureGizmo

• Admin
Most mutual funds (MF) in the Philippines offer one-time investment deposits that do not require reinvestments. That is, investing in installments is your choice, you can choose not to reinvest after you have made your initial investment. Just ask the MF what their policy is regarding additional investments. Some MFs require that you submit a signed form when you make an investment so if you reside outside of the country, you will have to mail the signed form or ask a proxy to submit it on your behalf.

xiaomei

Thanks FutureGizmo for the sound advice :clap:

Mmmm, can't wait to go back home and invest....and I'm really glad I found this website. Just registered the other day pero I learned a lot na from the postings of the other members :clap:

BTW, to nailbiter, I read that your mom is an agent of Sunlife, how can I contact her? I'm in south of China right now and will go home on Jan. 2007 for a vacation.

xiaomei

nailbiter

• Alalay ng
I'll PM you her e-mail address. I can give you her office and/or mobile number too if you would prefer to talk to her in person. Kindly PM me your name mo so I can tell her to expect to hear from you.

Pyramus

Thanks FG for the info... kahit papaano medyo naintindihan ko na konti mechanics ng mutual funds.  How about dividend? How do you acquire the dividend base sa performance ng fund. How do we profit in case we invest in mutual funds do we just need to sell our shares at higher NAV to profit either gain or loss  :confused: Or there is an annual profit sharing distributed to investors?  

nailbiter

• Alalay ng

How do we profit in case we invest in mutual funds do we just need to sell our shares at higher NAV to profit either gain or loss  :confused:

Yes, Pyramus, that's it. Until you redeem/sell your shares, unrealized pa yung gain/loss on your purchase price.

Mike QC

• Mover and Shaker
  • Forum Champion 900
Guys para hindi kayo paulit-ulit, go to page 4 of this thread about the mechanics of mutual funds which I outlined previously.  Investing in MF's should always be long term (preferably no lower than 5 years and the best is 10 years or more talaga) otherwise it's USELESS.  Don't just focus on the local market only because you will be at the mercy of the highly volatile philippine market, economy, inflation, the value of the peso, politics and so forth.  Go international too and be highly diversified..... again by categories & sectors.  Don't pay much attention on those fees and the volatility of the stock/bond market.  Kung pwede, close your eyes then wake up after 5 or 10 years and see how your investments have grown 10-fold (depending on the performance of your fund)......that's the way it works here.  Kaya nga merong fund managers kasi sila na ang bahala sa investments nyo.  ;)          

Wynn

• Forum Master 400
^ what an advise! a good one by the way ;)  just remember however to check from time to time your fund don't rely on fund managers alone.  

Mike QC

• Mover and Shaker
  • Forum Champion 900
Thanks wynn.  yup of course you'll have to check your funds' performance din naman periodically specially if you're in the high risk categories and/or sectors such as aggressive growth funds and small-caps.  You can sleep tight for 5 to 10 years if you got those US large caps & index funds ;)

wintan2006

• PMT Idol 1000
                      Correct kayo dyan wynn and Mike,that's why i invested in mutual fund kasi I work and don't have time to check the performance everyday unlike in stocks.I have a friend who managed a kindergarten school before and at the same time invested in stocks,syempre dapat alagaan nya stocks nya,then one day namulat na lang sya na unti unting kumukonti ang students nya kasi naging pabaya na sya.Then she decided to sell her school  :-[Kasi  di na sya naka focus sa work nya.

richmond

So happy there is a forum that is informative about mutual funds, though mostly in the Phils.  very interested in dollar-denominated mutual funds, too.  Plan to invest substantial funds in pesos and dollars.  would like to know what funds offers some sort of protection against losses, like insurance coverage, etc.  Played the stock market from 1995 up and got burned in the '97 asian financial crisis.  

For dollars, would be happy to net 7% and with pesos, net of 15%.  will continue to read suggestions and then decide with at least 2 or three funds to invest- to further spread the risk.  More power and back to watching the Manny-Pacquia fight.  More power to you all!!!

eeyore91833

• Probie
Hi! Grabe! ang dameng experts on investm,ents dito. I don't have a single investment except for my online buisness (selling online). I hope someone can help me regarding my questions.

I am still confused on where I should invest 10,000 pesos. Should I invest right now even if its just a small amount? Or should I wait when I have a larger amount? Would it be better to invest in the Kabuhayan Fund or with  Sunlife?

It would be ok with me if the money is not withdrawable withn a certain period.

Please help... :)

Thank you in advance

spiderman

• Forum Tambay 100
Ako naman, Im planning to get P10k from my Bonus this month... Id like to start from it. And since location wise, malapit ako dito sa Sunlife office nila sa Makati. I'd try to invest it with their Bond or something...

And im planning to put add na lang quarterly, (hopefully 5k).

Well, hopefully Im on the right track.

investorsportal

It is always very better to start early than late, meaning at a young age rather than at a later age, due to the power of compounding.  It is also better to start somewhere than nowhere at all  :-D

I'm very proud of spiderman and eeyore91833 who are already thinking of saving for their future ( I hope!)

Please do remember tho, that the funds you're both thinking of are in the arena of mutual fund which doesn't guarantee returns of your investment. Your participation is valued using the Net Asset Value Per Unit (NAVPU), which is market-determined and computed using the daily mark-to-market valuation of net assets divided by the number of outstanding units.  The fund's risk lies in this method, because it causes the NAVPU to fluctuate everyday, making investments held by the fund to gain or lose on any trading day.

Sounds tiring??? Well, you have to know what you are getting into or else if something should not go as you've wanted it to be, you'll be the first one to cry foul and curse the guy who introduced you to this programs. I bet you  :hihi:

Please look up or search "Mutual Funds" on the net for clearer understanding.

Katya

Hi guys! First post ko 'to dito although I've been reading the thread for the past 2 days. Thanks for the very informative discussion.

May question ako...Gusto ko sanang mag-invest ng P100K in mutual funds starting January.  Pinag-pipilian ko ang Sun Life Bond Fund, Philam Bond fund at PhilEquity.  Advisable ba na i-divide ko yung P100K sa kanilang tatlo - for example, P25K sa Sun Life, P25K sa Philam, at P50K sa PhilEquity? O mas mabuti kung sa isang company lang ako mag-invest?

Isa pang tanong based on your experience - between Sun Life, Philam at PhilEquity, ano ang pinaka-convenient pagdating sa additional investment? Kasi, after the initial investment, balak ko sanang magdagdag ng P5K a month. Gusto ko sana yung convenient - yung pwede lang i-deposit yung money sa isang bank at hindi ka na kailangan makipag-meet sa account officer.  Any ideas?

Thank you ulit sa advice nyo!  :azn:

investorsportal

hi, Katya, there are some banks offering 20%per annum guaranteed and tax free on your 100K, and pay out of interest is done on a monthly basis. So, in effect, your earned income earns more than 20%pa.  While mutual fund is not guaranteed and fluctuates according to the market.  There's also entry and exit fee everytime you put in or take out. 

Why don't you consider putting it in a medium term financial portfolio and watch as you maximize growth on your earned income?

lowije_dapogs

• Forum Expert 500
katya, may mga collecting banks naman ang ibang Mutual funds..  in my case, i just got the other month, yung philequity and sa first metro save (metrobank subsidiary). yung philequity, pede mo ideposit na lang sa equitable pci, pag nagconfirm ka na interested ka thru their email, makakareceive ka na ng mga prospectus and application from them (they will send you thru mail) in a few weeks. pwede ka ng makipag-usap thru phone and cellphone sa agent and kung gusto mo ngang thru bank deposit na lang, just tell them and they will give you their epci account no. iconfirm mo na lang sa kanila na nagdeposit ka na thru phone and fax to them the deposit slip. after that, kailangan mo ipadala sa kanila yung original ng deposit slip and requirements/docs and application form. remember to leave a file copy of all the papers you submitted, ixerox mo lahat... pag nareceive na nila yun, ime-mail naman sayo yung provisional receipt and the OR, sabay na usually... just take note, mejo mataas ang sales load ng philequity...

yung sa 1st metro save & learn naman, sa metrobank syempre ang account nila. mas mabilis ang transaction ko sa kanila, kasi downloadable ang prospectus and application forms, and they allow you to send thru fax yung mga requirements (halos parehas sa philequity - IDs, accomplished forms, deposit slip, etc)... nagkamisunderstanding lang dahil after ko magdeposit at magfax sa kanila, hinihintay ko ng isend nila yung receipt, sila naman hinihintay ako isend yung original docs ko, so i had to call them... pero after nun, i received the OR na after a few days.

first time ko rin magventure sa ganitong investment and yung mga advice and posts nila fqiz and ibang PMTers ang talagang nakapagconvince sakin to get into it.. di rin ako comporme sa mga savings sa bank kasi sobrang baba at bagal ng paglaki (if at all!), parang mas malaki ang nawawala sayo keeping it there... yung sa savings and loan association naman sa trabaho, ok rin dahil tax-free at mas mataas ang rate, pero hindi kasing-laki ng mga mutual funds, or even UITFs kaya mas naencourage talaga ako... mejo magririsk ka lang ng konti dahil nga nagffluctuate ang NAV...

bottomline, tama na muna ang mga luho sa ngayon. kailangan puwersahin ang sarili na mag-ipon, dahil nagkakaedad na rin tayo... ;)

« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2006, 09:19 AM by lowije_dapogs »

gnober

hello guys!

ive been interested with mutual funds for the longest time. philequity sana ako mag-i invest dati kaso lang when i checked their website http://www.philequity.net/, nakuuu... na TURNED-OFF ako! Top ten donts ata ng website nandun na. Imagine, a multi million company w/ an amateurish website.. Grr nakaka turnoff talaga. Pero gusto ko sana sa kanila kasi matagal na sila sa industry, at laging matataas yields nila.

--> meron bang may-alam ng sales load nila at kung magkano (front, back, no-load)

yung sunlife equity naman, gusto ko din kasi mukhang professional talaga, even the website (deal maker/breaker to me ata 'toh ah). tapos you can keep track of your investment via internet pa. malinaw din sa site nila kung ilang % yung kukunin nila depending on your investment preference (front,back,no-load).

kanina nung nagcheck ako ng mutual fund companies, meron na palang bago.. First Metro Save and Learn Equity Fund. Yung YTD nila 67%.. Wow! Na-doble investment mo! Kahit na sabihin nating 15% kaltas dyan sobrang laki pa din ng tubo mo..

So ngayon, 3 na pinagpipilian ko: Philequity (baguhin nila website nila sa kanila nako..hehe), Sunlife and the new MS&LEF (baguhan palang 'to.. any feedback?).

lowije_dapogs

• Forum Expert 500
gnober,

kung nabasa mo post ko sa itaas^, you'll know that i have investments sa philequity at metrosave... pangit talaga ang website ng phileq, pero low profile naman talaga ito compared sa kanyang multi-million rivals. mejo mabagal din ang response nila, kasi ipapadala pa sayo yung prospectus and application forms by mail (unlike sa iba na downloadable na sa site nila) but as you said, matagal na sila sa business at very steady ang performance nila, pang-masa rin kasi ang minimum investment nila, unlike sunlife and others na 20k-50k ata... i dont know if i remember it right, pero 3.5% ata ang sales load nila.

sa metrosave naman at 2% ang sales load nila. 1 year pa lang halos ito kaya normal lang na maging ganyan kataas ang ROI, at very reputable din ang fund managers kaya di ka mashadong kakabahan... pero tulad ng madalas i-advice ng mga PMT experts, dapat tignan nga yung long term performance, kaya dapat mo pang bantayan ito. so far, so good naman...

yung sunlife, yan actually ang 1st candidate ko nung nagpplano pa lang ako mag MF dahil gusto ko ang reputation and reliability nito as an insurance investment company. pero last minute nagbago ako ng isip, kasi nga, kailangan pumunta dun sa office nila in person to apply at wala akong time to do that...

btw, may ginawa ng thread on MF list in the philippines, if you want more details on each MF, tignan mo na lang din dito:

http://www.pinoymoneytalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4791.0

« Last Edit: Dec 19, 2006, 06:25 PM by lowije_dapogs »

Katya

hi, Katya, there are some banks offering 20%per annum guaranteed and tax free on your 100K, and pay out of interest is done on a monthly basis. So, in effect, your earned income earns more than 20%pa.  While mutual fund is not guaranteed and fluctuates according to the market.  There's also entry and exit fee everytime you put in or take out. 

Why don't you consider putting it in a medium term financial portfolio and watch as you maximize growth on your earned income?
Really? Wow, I didn't know there was this option.  Would you know which banks offer this kind of product?  I hope BPI has one.  I e-mailed them because they offer Personal Fund Management and since my account is in BPI,  maybe they can help me. I'll ask the account officer if they have this kind of account.

katya, may mga collecting banks naman ang ibang Mutual funds..  in my case, i just got the other month, yung philequity and sa first metro save (metrobank subsidiary). yung philequity, pede mo ideposit na lang sa equitable pci, pag nagconfirm ka na interested ka thru their email, makakareceive ka na ng mga prospectus and application from them (they will send you thru mail) in a few weeks. pwede ka ng makipag-usap thru phone and cellphone sa agent and kung gusto mo ngang thru bank deposit na lang, just tell them and they will give you their epci account no. iconfirm mo na lang sa kanila na nagdeposit ka na thru phone and fax to them the deposit slip. after that, kailangan mo ipadala sa kanila yung original ng deposit slip and requirements/docs and application form. remember to leave a file copy of all the papers you submitted, ixerox mo lahat... pag nareceive na nila yun, ime-mail naman sayo yung provisional receipt and the OR, sabay na usually... just take note, mejo mataas ang sales load ng philequity...
Thanks! That's good to know. Malaking bagay sa 'kin yung convenience ng pag-deposit sa bank account.  And it's perfect na Equitable PCI yung bank nila because our payroll account is there so I can easily transfer from my salary to the philequity fund. Now I'm also considering First Metro Save. Mukhang okay din sila.

ive been interested with mutual funds for the longest time. philequity sana ako mag-i invest dati kaso lang when i checked their website http://www.philequity.net/, nakuuu... na TURNED-OFF ako!
I had the exact same reaction!  :laugh: But then I realized na mas low profile nga sila compared to their other counterparts. Still, I'm interested in investing in philequity since very good naman yung performance nila.  I also noticed na mas mabagal nga ang response time nila.  I e-mailed Sun Life, Philam and Philequity all at the same time to inquire about their products.  Sun Life and Philam already replied.  Yung Philequity wala pang sagot.

Based on first impressions, mukhang okay talaga ang Sun Life.  I like their website a lot (medyo critical din ako dito) and I read in the newspaper that their planning to put up Sun Life Financial Stores nationwide.  Parang "one-stop shop" where the interested investors can inquire about their different products - mutual funds, pre-need plans and life insurance.  They have 2 stores so far in QC and Greenhills and their Makati store is opening soon.  When they replied to my inquiry, they gave me the exact address of their Sun Life Financial stores in QC and Greenhills.  I might try to drop by and see what it's like.

Philam also replied right away.  They asked for my mailing address and their going to mail me their brochures ASAP.   Then, if I want to meet with one of their financial officers, I can just call the girl who e-mailed me to set an appointment.

I haven't heard from Philequity yet. Although one of their offices in Makati is near my office so I can drop by anytime to inquire.

« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2006, 02:20 AM by Katya »

nailbiter

• Alalay ng
between Sun Life, Philam at PhilEquity, ano ang pinaka-convenient pagdating sa additional investment? Kasi, after the initial investment, balak ko sanang magdagdag ng P5K a month. Gusto ko sana yung convenient - yung pwede lang i-deposit yung money sa isang bank at hindi ka na kailangan makipag-meet sa account officer.  Any ideas?

Katya, I believe you could do this with all three. But you'll have to send the company a copy of the deposit slip or transaction record, if I'm not mistaken.

pangit talaga ang website ng phileq, pero low profile naman talaga ito compared sa kanyang multi-million rivals. mejo mabagal din ang response nila, kasi ipapadala pa sayo yung prospectus and application forms by mail (unlike sa iba na downloadable na sa site nila) but as you said, matagal na sila sa business at very steady ang performance nila, pang-masa rin kasi ang minimum investment nila, unlike sunlife and others na 20k-50k ata...

yung sunlife, yan actually ang 1st candidate ko nung nagpplano pa lang ako mag MF dahil gusto ko ang reputation and reliability nito as an insurance investment company. pero last minute nagbago ako ng isip, kasi nga, kailangan pumunta dun sa office nila in person to apply at wala akong time to do that...

Actually, P10,000 ang minimum investment sa Sunlife. P5,000 minimum for additional investments.

We're all looking for convenience and ease. But there is a reason Sunlife insists that first-time investors talk to a mutual fund representative.

From their website:

"We believe that new investors need to thoroughly understand the benefits and risks of investing in mutual funds. In order to ensure this, some required forms for first time investors are available only through your Sun Life Mutual Fund Representative or from the Head Office. If you are planning to invest in the Sun Life Prosperity Funds for the first time, we encourage you to see your Sun Life Mutual Fund Representative."

Uninformed investors can be quite a force, as has happened with UITF bond funds in April-June of this year when prices dropped after the rise of interest rates. Panic selling ensued, driving prices further and further down.

Mutual fund and UITF investors must be properly advised of the nature of these products, to enable them to choose a fund that can match their risk appetite.

Really? Wow, I didn't know there was this option.  Would you know which banks offer this kind of product?  I hope BPI has one.  I e-mailed them because they offer Personal Fund Management and since my account is in BPI,  maybe they can help me. I'll ask the account officer if they have this kind of account.

Katya, investorsportal is actually referring to rural banks. Search his previous posts, he mentions one specific bank he's referring to.

investorsportal

Katya, nailbiter is right, I am referring to rural banks, one of which is Bank of East Asia where I have placed my own money in their bank time-deposit. The contact person is consultant Jimmy Lucero whose ad is <jimmylucero@yahoo.com> You might want to get more info. They give 20% per annum interest Tax-Free on a 5-year program (as mandated by Bangko Sentral). At any rate your 100,000 is very much within the PDIC insurance coverage (PDIC max. coverage is 250,000 per account/name).

Katya

part_timer_lang

Sa mga nabanggit na MFs and other similar products/programs, ano po iyong may pinakamababang minimum?

nailbiter

• Alalay ng
For GSIS members, minimum initial investment for the Kinabukasan Fund is at P1,000. For the rest, per our running "Philippine Mutual Funds List" Project, it's at P5,000. Check the list as there are several funds meeting this. Two pages pa lang naman yung thread. :)
« Last Edit: Jan 06, 2007, 01:37 PM by nailbiter »

alkansya

• Probie
basic question po ulit mula sa isang newbie

sa libro ni colayco, paulit-ulit niyang sinasabi ang mutual funds, compounding interest at long term investments for retirement, 10 hanggang 20 years ang tinutukoy niya.

how exactly will i earn from mutual funds, sabi sa previous messages, you earn only if you redeem; so kikita ako pag naibenta ko ang aking mfs nang mas mataas sa presyong nakuha ko, at kadalasan, maganda ang presyo after so many years na? tama po ba ang pagkakaintindi ko?

ibig bang sabihin, i will repeatedly go through the cycle of buying at any time, redeeming when the navps is high and buying again to reinvest my money.

kasi kung retirement ang habol ko, dapat ba pag mataas na ang navps, at ang kita ko ay way above the inflation rate na, dapat bang magbenta na ako?

ngayon naman kung ibinenta ko ang mf's ko at kumita nga ako, ano naman ang gagawin ko sa perang napagbilhan ko assuming wala naman akong gastos na pagggamitan nito?  ibibili ko ba ulit ito ng mf's? e di dapat hintayin ko munang bumaba ang presyo bago ako bumili para may saysay ang pagkakabenta ko at tunay na tumubo ako. tama ho ba? 

maraming salamat in advance

part_timer_lang

For GSIS members, minimum initial investment for the Kinabukasan Fund is at P1,000. For the rest, per our running "Philippine Mutual Funds List" Project, it's at P5,000. Check the list as there are several funds meeting this. Two pages pa lang naman yung thread. :)

Thanks ms. nailbiter.  :)
OT: Medyo dami na ako contribution sa GSIS, sa iba naman :D

nailbiter

• Alalay ng
sa libro ni colayco, paulit-ulit niyang sinasabi ang mutual funds, compounding interest at long term investments for retirement, 10 hanggang 20 years ang tinutukoy niya.

how exactly will i earn from mutual funds, sabi sa previous messages, you earn only if you redeem; so kikita ako pag naibenta ko ang aking mfs nang mas mataas sa presyong nakuha ko, at kadalasan, maganda ang presyo after so many years na? tama po ba ang pagkakaintindi ko?

ibig bang sabihin, i will repeatedly go through the cycle of buying at any time, redeeming when the navps is high and buying again to reinvest my money.

kasi kung retirement ang habol ko, dapat ba pag mataas na ang navps, at ang kita ko ay way above the inflation rate na, dapat bang magbenta na ako?

ngayon naman kung ibinenta ko ang mf's ko at kumita nga ako, ano naman ang gagawin ko sa perang napagbilhan ko assuming wala naman akong gastos na pagggamitan nito?  ibibili ko ba ulit ito ng mf's? e di dapat hintayin ko munang bumaba ang presyo bago ako bumili para may saysay ang pagkakabenta ko at tunay na tumubo ako. tama ho ba? 

Think of your target income in a given span of years. Monitor your fund's performance, see if it can still meet your objectives and let that guide your decision. Kung confident ka sa fund management and you can see na consistent naman ang performance, then just let it ride. Redeem when you're ready, when you need the money, or when you think you have enough for what you've been saving up for.

May nagtanong sa akin via PM kung gaano ka-crucial ang agent sa pagkuha ng MFs. Dito ko na lang siguro sagutin para may input din ang iba. :)

It depends on the investor, sa tingin ko. If you're a seasoned investor and you can shop around for yourself, kudos to you. But if these things are new to you and perhaps the only  long-term investment you're aware of before this are time deposits, it may be better to discuss your goals with an agent. Because you really have to be informed about the risks, find out which fund suits your objectives, tipong ganyan. You need to be properly coached so you know what you're getting into, what you should expect to get out of it, how to go about it. While there are countless resources and references online, who can verify whether you've properly processed the available information? Fyi, you have to pass an SEC Certification Exam to become an Investment Company Representative, just as you need to pass an exam to become a certified insurance agent, kaya hindi rin simpleng gawain yan. :)

@ms. part_timer_lang, you're welcome. Haha, "ms. nailbiter" ka diyan, tigilan mo ako. :harhar:

alkansya

• Probie
guys,

thank you very much, palinaw na nang palinaw.

pwede ba pa explain lang how one earns dividends sa mf's? so the compounding interest will come from the dividends and the increasing navps?

so kung may extra 10t ako every month and resolve to religiously put that in mf's in the next 20 yrs, tapos on yr 21 decide to redeem, assuming hindi babagsak sa kangkungan ang ekonomiya ng inang bayan nating mahal, am i almost definite to have profits on my money that will definitely beat the inflation rate?

maraming salamat, pasensiya na kung makulit, ganun talaga ang mga tumatanda :)

lowije_dapogs

• Forum Expert 500

that's right alkansya, dapat daw talaga ang kuning mga investments e yung mas malaki ang interest kesa sa inflation rate para sure kang meron kang profit habang nakaipit ang pera mo sa kanila... for instance, kumuha ka ng 10,000 shares with P1.00 NAV today, so P10,000 bale yung initial deposit mo... at tumaas ang NAV ng P1.00 yearly. so yung sinasabi mong 20 years na ganung steady (modest) performance, means the NAV by year 2026 is at P20, multiply that by the number of shares you bought (10,000)... the redeemable amount would be P200,000... straight up computation yan ha wala pang compounding. of course, di naman saktong NAV x no. of shares ang mawiwithdraw mo dahil may mga babayaran ka pa rin na taxes chuva. yun dapat siguro ang dapat pa ring idiscuss dito, anu-anong deductions ang ikakarga sa kinita mo at magkano talaga ang magiging net profit mo after the deductions. baka may gustong mag-discuss nito sainyo jan... gusto ko ring malaman... :confused:

nailbiter

• Alalay ng
On your question, alkansya, as I mentioned in the UITF thread, depende sa company yon kung magde-declare sila ng dividends, depende sa kita nila. And the policy of how dividends are paid may differ, too. Pwedeng idiretso sa investors, pwedeng idagdag sa shares.

lowjie_dapogs, actually, bawas na ang taxes sa NAV. Kaya siya net asset value. Ang mababawas na lang ay yung exit fee o redemption fee. Most funds, if you redeem after a given period, say two years for example, waived na ang redemption fee. Our "Philippine Mutual Funds List" Project thread shows the sales and redemption fees for several mutual funds. You can check the figures there.

alkansya

• Probie
so, without the dividends, you do not enjoy the great wonder of compounding interest?  meaning from the time you bought your funds up to the time you redeem, kung walang dividends, you redeem the same number of shares pero yun nga with a higher navps than the original navps that you bought them?  without the benefit of dividends, just with the increasing value of navps with time, enough na ba yun to beat inflation?

kung may dividends naman, that means dumadami ang shares ko, PLUS tumataas pa navps with time, so aside from having higher nav per share e mas madami pa share ko, tama? that one i can see compounding interest at work, pero my nagging concern nga e, pano kung walang dividends, will the increase in navps be that substantial, like aabot kaya yun ng 20% kung iwan ko lang ng 10 -15 years?

balak ko kasi magtabi ng pakonti-konti buwan-buwan, (yung di naman masakit sa bulsang amount) yung tipo bang set it and forget it kind of thing, tapos balikan na lang after some time.

tama ba itong iniisip ko?

thank you sa mga replies, happy new year to all!!!!

nailbiter

• Alalay ng
Compounding talaga ang interest ng MFs, alkansya, with or without the dividends. Whether or not you earn enough to beat inflation depends on the performance of your fund, your holding period, the inflation rate at the time of redemption. Pero kung long-term naman ang investment mo, you may well achieve that.

A target of 20% in 10 to 15 years is very sound. Several funds can outperform that figure in a year.

Magtabi at magpasok ng pakonti-konti buwan-buwan, yung sigurado kang di mo gagalawin o kakailanganin for some time, okay na plano yan.

anthony11

question po, let say mag i invest ako sa MF ng 5k with a sales load of 2 percent, ito lang ba babayaran ko or may other hidden charges pa? thx  :angel:

the_killer_b

• Probie
Hi po, newbie here! Thanks for all the info on MF. Sobrang helpful ng forum na toh. Hope i can invest na the soonest.  :angel:

lx638

• Moderation is Virtue
  • Forum Expert 500
ewan ko kung tama tong question ko, for example i have 10k. since may entry fees, wise ba maglagay muna ng 5k (assuming 5k is minimum initial), and then saka ipasok ung next 5k? im asking this kasi iniisip ko magtipid pa sa fees. hihihihi does it make sense or pareho rin lng ang kalalabasan or minimal difference lng?

tas, how often ka ba pede bumili ng shares? monthly? weekly?

and usually gano katagal ung process pag mag-iinvest (orientation-application-approval)? pangit kasi schedule ko sa work. mon-fri work, night shift. kaya wala talaga akong free time na nagfo-fall sa business day.

if you're generous enough, pede nyo pa ako pm ng mga sagot.
thanks
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2007, 10:47 AM by lx638 »

wintan2006

• PMT Idol 1000

nailbiter

• Alalay ng

question po, let say mag i invest ako sa MF ng 5k with a sales load of 2 percent, ito lang ba babayaran ko or may other hidden charges pa? thx  :angel:

May VAT. At P5,000, with a 2% sales load (P100) with 12% VAT (P12), bale P4,888 ang magiging placement mo.

@lx638, pareho lang ang fees papatak. Entry fee or sales load is not upon your first purchase. It's always charged -- buweno depende nga sa fund. Kasi some funds, may option ka kung front load o back load. And if you invest long enough, pwedeng waived na yung exit fee.

You can purchase shares as often as you want.

As long as you place your investment before 12noon, papasok na yon on that day. If you're only free on a weekend, your agent should be able to place that for you on Monday morning. The orientation and application process, depende na sa iyo yan, how soon after discussing your options with your agent ka magiging handa.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2007, 03:46 PM by nailbiter »

drjoeyv

My advise to you guys is start your investment now in MF. Maganda talaga yung return sa investment. Both my balance and equity funds gave me good returns for only 5 months. Recently lang ako nag-invest but when I studied the carefully the history of MF in Philippines for the past 10 years, I should have invested my money since 1997. Sana ngayon, I am already planning to quit my job and go back to Philippines to retire at the age of 45. Anyway, may 8 years pa ako, so try kong habulin. Hindi na masama yung balance fund, kasi it gave me at least 20% return in 5 months!!!  :yehey:

wintan2006

• PMT Idol 1000
                May tanong po ako,I have been investing thrice a month in an international mf(eastern Europe) here in Taiwan,i started last May and has earned a return of 20% then this January naging 12% na lang,di naman kami masyadong affected ng malaki since i am into cost averaging.My question is this:let's say meron pa akong kaunting pera dito,will you advise me to place some in this mf since bumaba sya ngayon?My hubby and I are having a discussion about this.Gusto ko sanang bawiin yung sanang kinita ko last Dec na 8% by buying low now.
                One more thing,napansin namin na whenever an MF nag return ng 20% here ,automatically bumababa sya kasi yung mga taong nag invest ng lumpsum like 500k to2M,once nag gain ng 20% sell kagad sila.20% ba naman nung 2M ang laki talaga.
                Salamat po sa sagot.

inv99

• Forum Tambay 150
Do you guys think 2007 will be a good year for MF's... since it's election year...alam nyo na, uncertainties, issues... what have you.

I really want to venture into this -- and probably do a spread buying into various quality MFs that's been performing quite well in history. I read it wont matter if you're in for the long term but of course you guys knows better :)

*Thanks nailbiter sa PM... I will plan it soon.

FutureGizmo

• Admin
@wintan, alam mo na yung sagot jan e. Yung discussion: I'm buying Mutual Funds, should I wait until fund prices have fallen?

Simple lang naman ang rule jan: if you're buying mutual funds, do you expect its NAVPS to go up? If yes, go buy! If no, don't! Honestly it's difficult, if not impossible, to time the market so why waste time? And if you plan to do that, you shouldn't be investing in mutual funds, you better trade stocks on your own.

One more thing,napansin namin na whenever an MF nag return ng 20% here ,automatically bumababa sya kasi yung mga taong nag invest ng lumpsum like 500k to2M,once nag gain ng 20% sell kagad sila.20% ba naman nung 2M ang laki talaga.

A "20% return" is relative. What do you mean by "whenever the MF gives a 20% return"? Those who got in several years ago probably have earned more than that, those who got in some months ago probably have earned only 10% and those who got in 1 or 2 months ago probably have just earned 3%. I'm saying I don't think those pulling out funds are the reason why MF prices are falling. It's possible, though, but only if they form the majority of the fund's total value where their sudden withdrawal would cause the fund to withdraw their stock positions at a loss.

@inv99, no one can predict what's going to happen in 2007 of course but most analysts are saying that the return in 2007 may not be able to top the return in 2006. It's still possible to earn but probably not as high as in 2006.

« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2007, 01:50 AM by FutureGizmo »

wintan2006

• PMT Idol 1000
                Thank you FG sa sagot ha,and yes i am expecting it again to go up.

PMT Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Post only questions or comments here. Advertisements NOT ALLOWED.
  • Doni_megaworld: Happy Saturday! who's online?
    Today at 08:48 AM
  • Doni_megaworld: Good Morning! who's online?
    Yesterday at 07:34 AM
  • Doni_megaworld: Hi Guys, who's online?
    May 29, 2020, 03:08 PM
  • Doni_megaworld: good morning! who's online?
    May 28, 2020, 08:47 AM
  • Doni_megaworld: good morning guys!
    May 27, 2020, 09:47 AM
  • Doni_megaworld: work work
    May 26, 2020, 02:47 PM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: What's good in this afternoon?
    May 26, 2020, 02:01 PM
  • Doni_megaworld: agreed
    May 25, 2020, 03:30 PM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: @lyndrey depende siguro sa seller, so kung mag order kayo online much better na kilala niyo at trusted
    May 25, 2020, 02:29 PM
  • Doni_megaworld: kumusta? sino mga online?
    May 24, 2020, 03:24 PM
  • lyndrey: Do not buy PPE online. Either expensive overpriced or totally damaged or cannot be used
    May 24, 2020, 01:37 PM
  • lyndrey: Online Scammers/online shopping cheats are active with stay at home regimen.
    May 24, 2020, 01:34 PM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: @razee22 Parang di na po nacoconvert into money ang load po.
    May 12, 2020, 04:07 PM
  • razee22: any advised or recommendation?
    May 12, 2020, 11:16 AM
  • razee22: Paano po ba iconvert ang load into money like Paypal, Paymaya or Gcash?
    May 12, 2020, 11:15 AM
  • razee22: paano po ba iconvert ang load into money? Paypal or Gcash
    May 12, 2020, 11:14 AM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: Hellooooo, okay lang ba kayo dyannnn?
    May 11, 2020, 11:40 AM
  • theimprobableone: hi
    May 05, 2020, 11:37 AM
  • freelance_treasure_hunter: hello all...
    Apr 28, 2020, 04:26 PM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: Can someone save me?
    Mar 24, 2020, 01:39 PM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: I'm tired.
    Mar 24, 2020, 01:39 PM
  • Victorvargas: Hello sa lahat po new lang po dito. Hope na marami matutunan ako about business.
    Mar 21, 2020, 09:43 PM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: Yoh, its been a while.
    Mar 17, 2020, 10:33 AM
  • demi07: Hello everyone! New in pinoymoneytalk :)
    Mar 14, 2020, 01:24 PM
  • theappswitch: Hi!
    Feb 25, 2020, 03:14 PM
  • mike2020: hi po sa inyo lahat
    Feb 23, 2020, 11:52 PM
  • Jayjayqwe: hi po
    Feb 19, 2020, 11:27 PM
  • tirs d pip: hello
    Feb 18, 2020, 02:32 PM
  • Ace1105: Hello sa lahat...  :hello:
    Feb 07, 2020, 09:46 AM
  • FREYAHYARA: Anyone knows where Ig shops like styledom.ph, thriftme, instashoppeavenu and the likes get their items for selling. Would like to venture in the same business but would like to know where and who the suppliers are
    Jan 28, 2020, 09:38 PM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: To bpc85 kung nakalagay ang inyong names sa beneficiary list ng iyong ama kay may makukuha po kayo.
    Nov 28, 2019, 02:18 PM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: Hellooooo, its been a while. :)
    Nov 28, 2019, 02:16 PM
  • miakashidou31: hi , meron po ba ditong nagta transfer sa paypal?
    Nov 05, 2019, 01:46 PM
  • whennedy: good noon po
    Oct 18, 2019, 12:04 PM
  • edzlpdac: goood day po sa lahat!
    Oct 12, 2019, 03:37 PM
  • bpc85: ask lng sana ako kung may makukuha ba kami ng Mama ko at ako or mga kapatid ko sa benepisyo ng aming Ama bilang membro ng AFPSLAI. thank you po.
    Sep 27, 2019, 12:52 PM
  • bpc85: Hi guys, im new here,.
    Sep 27, 2019, 12:52 PM
  • Anaperdi: Hi just want to know if meron dito who is into boundary hulog ng motorcycle? For mga riders ng courier. Pwede ba magpashare how it works? Naisip ko lang baka pwede ko ibusiness, meron na pala mga posts online pero di pa clear ang system sa akin. thank  you sa makakapansin
    Sep 21, 2019, 11:32 AM
  • Anaperdi: Hi newbie here..
    Sep 21, 2019, 11:19 AM
  • jprios: May contact ba kayo kung sakali?
    Sep 18, 2019, 06:11 PM
  • jprios: Sino pwedeng mahiraman dito?
    Sep 18, 2019, 06:09 PM
  • kfg52: Present!
    Sep 15, 2019, 07:26 PM
  • juju31: san po ba may nag papahiram dito
    Sep 14, 2019, 07:18 PM
  • juju31: hello
    Sep 14, 2019, 07:18 PM
  • FutureGizmo: Thanks julz! Medyo ganun nga trabaho namin ngayon, to monitor spam posts kasi ang daming spam bots. But thanks for reporting. Auto-ban agad ang spammers sa amin haha
    Sep 07, 2019, 12:17 PM
  • julz: @FutureGizmo si @nikkikv18 just posted more than 10 posts about porn sites. hay, spam.
    Sep 03, 2019, 01:05 PM
  • Cid_brent: sino po dyan pwede magbigay send ng paypal funds and I will pay you using gcash?
    Aug 25, 2019, 08:58 PM
  • Meghan91811: Sino po may alam about Rice Farming...
    Aug 25, 2019, 07:44 AM
  • roselove: hello po sa inyo... newbie here
    Aug 06, 2019, 03:31 PM