Good news to all government employees! There’s a new round of automatic salary increases for the year 2023!
This is definitely a welcome development but take note that SSL 2023 is going to be the fourth and final tranche of automatic salary increases for government employees.
Background: On January 8, 2020, the “Salary Standardization Law (SSL) of 2019” was signed into law which rolled out four (4) tranches of automatic salary increases every year from 2020 until 2023.
Under the approved Salary Standardization Law (SSL), millions of employees of the Philippine government, such as public school teachers, nurses and staff of government hospitals, and workers in local and national government agencies, will be getting automatic salary adjustment from 2020 until 2023.
For SSL 2023, all government employees will receive adjusted salaries beginning January 1, 2023. This is good news indeed but the bad news, though, is that the year 2023 is the final year that automatic salary adjustments will take place. There is no news yet if another round of automatic salary increases will happen in 2024.
For now, check here how much your new salary is for 2023 under the final tranche of SSL!
How to Check your Salary in the SSL 2023 Table
How to use the SSL table below to check your salary? Just follow these simple steps.
- First, you should know your Salary Grade (SG) and Step. If you don’t know this yet, check your appointment paper or pay slip.
- Now, look for the row corresponding to your Salary Grade (SG) in the table below.
- Now check the column corresponding to your Salary Step.
- The intersection between your SG and Step is the amount of your monthly salary.
Here are the SSL tables showing the new monthly salaries of government employees.
SSL 2023 SG Table for Government Employees
The fourth and final tranche of salary increases, SSL 2023, has been rolled out effective January 1, 2023. Check out your SSL 2023 salary in the table below.
Salary Grade (SG) Pay Increase in 2023
What’s the new salary of a government employee with rank Salary Grade 1 Step 1 or SG 1-1 under the approved Salary Standardization Law?
Based on the SSL 2023 salary grade table, a government employee ranked SG 1 Step 1 will receive a monthly salary of P13,000.00 — a P483.00 increase from the previous salary of P12,517.00 in 2022.
SG 10 Step 1 employees, meanwhile, will receive a new monthly salary of P23,176.00 in 2023, an upward adjustment of P986.00 from the P22,190.00 monthly salary in 2022.
Another example: SG 20 Step 1 employees will be getting an additional monthly salary of P1,548.00 with their new monthly pay bumped up to P57,347.00 from PP55,799.00 in 2022.
The highest-ranked government employees, i.e., those ranked SG 33 Step 2, will see their salary grow to a whopping P431,718.00 per month in 2023, from P423,723.00 in 2022 — a salary increase of P7,995.00 per month.
SSL 2022 Salary Table for Government Employees
The third tranche of salary increases, under SSL 2022, took effect beginning January 1, 2022. Check your salary under SSL 2022 below.
SSL 2021 Salary Table for Government Employees
Government employees received the second tranche of salary increases under SSL 6 or SSL 2021 beginning January 1, 2021. Check the SSL 2021 table below to find out your salary.
SSL 2020 Salary Table for Government Employees
The first tranche of salary increases under the approved Salary Standardization Law took effect starting January 1, 2020. You may find below the adjusted salaries under SSL 2020.
Monthly Salary of Government Nurses in 2023
Filipino nurses finally received a much-deserved salary increase at a time when frontliners like them worked diligently to help address the COVID-19 pandemic in the country. This is after the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) decided to implement Section 32 of the Philippine Nursing Act of 2002 (RA 9173) beginning 2020. At present, the minimum base pay for nurses working in public institutions and government hospitals has been set at SG-15.
So how much is the starting salary of nurses in public hospitals? In 2023, the starting salary of Nurse 1 (SG 15) in a government hospital is P36,619.00.
Nurse 2, with salary grade of SG 16, receives monthly salary of P39,672 in 2023.
Meanwhile, Nurse 3 has a monthly salary of P43,030 while Nurse 4, with SG 19 salary level, is receiving P51,357 monthly salary in 2023.
Nurse 5 has a monthly salary of P57,347, while Nurse 6 is receiving P71,511 monthly salary.
The monthly salaries for all other nursing positions in public hospitals in 2023 is as follows.
|Nursing Rank||Salary Grade (SG)||Starting Salary per Month in 2023|
|Nurse 1||SG 15||P36,619.00|
|Nurse 2||SG 16||P39,672.00|
|Nurse 3||SG 17||P43,030.00|
|Nurse 4||SG 19||P51,357.00|
|Nurse 5||SG 20||P57,347.00|
|Nurse 6||SG 22||P71,511.00|
|Nurse 7||SG 24||P90,078.00|
|Nursing Attendant 1||SG 4||P15,586.00|
|Nursing Attendant 2||SG 6||P17,553.00|
|Ward Assistant||SG 7||P18,620.00|
The DBM explained that the salary increase for nurses is for all public health nurses, regardless if regular, casual or contractual, full-time or part-time, as long as they are working in national government agencies, including state universities and colleges and state corporations, as well as local government units (LGUs) covered by the Compensation and Position Classification System (CPCS) under Republic Act (RA) No. 6758 or the Compensation and Position Classification Act of 1989.
With the new SSL tables, all government employees — excluding armed and military personnel below who already received separate salary increases — certainly benefited and will continue to benefit from automatic salary bumps until 2023.
Monthly Salary of Public School Teachers in 2023
Unfortunately, though, teachers in public schools in the country continue to be paid deplorably low salaries. Although teachers under the Department of Education (DepEd) benefited from automatic salary increases due to SSL, their salary is still relatively low, as seen in the table below.
|DepEd Teacher Position||Salary Grade (SG)||Starting Salary per Month in 2023|
|Teacher 1||SG 11||P27,000.00|
|Teacher 2||SG 12||P29,165.00|
|Teacher 3||SG 13||P31,320.00|
|Master Teacher 1||SG 18||P46,725.00|
|Master Teacher 2||SG 19||P51,357.00|
|Master Teacher 3||SG 20||P57,347.00|
|Master Teacher 4||SG 21||P63,997.00|
|Head Teacher 1||SG 14||P33,843.00|
|Head Teacher 2||SG 15||P36,619.00|
|Head Teacher 3||SG 16||P39,672.00|
|Head Teacher 4||SG 17||P43,030.00|
|Head Teacher 5||SG 18||P46,725.00|
|Head Teacher 6||SG 19||P51,357.00|
|Asst. Principal 1||SG 18||P46,725.00|
|Asst. Principal 2||SG 19||P51,357.00|
|School Principal 1||SG 19||P51,357.00|
|School Principal 2||SG 20||P57,347.00|
|School Principal 3||SG 21||P63,997.00|
|School Principal 5||SG 22||P71,511.00|
How much is the salary of a DepEd public school teacher in 2023?
Teacher 1, with SG 11 salary grade, receives a monthly salary of P27,000.
Teacher 2 working in a public school has a monthly salary of P29,165, while Teacher 3 receives a monthly salary of P31,320 in 2023.
DepEd public school teachers with a Master Teacher position, meanwhile, are entitled to the following monthly salary:
- Master Teacher 1 has a monthly salary of P46,725 in 2023.
- Master Teacher 2 has a monthly salary of P51,357.
- Master Teacher 3 has a monthly salary of P57,347.
- Master Teacher 4 has a monthly salary of P63,997.
What about the monthly salary of Head Teachers in a DepEd school? They will receive monthly starting salary as follows:
- The monthly salary of Head Teacher 1 in a DepEd public school is P33,843 in 2023.
- The monthly salary of Head Teacher 2 in a DepEd school is P36,619.
- The monthly salary of Head Teacher 3 is P39,672.
- The monthly salary of Head Teacher 4 is P43,030.
- The monthly salary of Head Teacher 5 is P46,725.
- The monthly salary of Head Teacher 6 is P51,357.
Monthly Salary of University Professors in 2023
What about the monthly salaries of teachers in state universities and colleges (SUC)?
Here’s how much instructors, assistant professors, associate professors, and professors in SUC such as University of the Philippines (UP), Polytechnic University of the Philippines (PUP), Philippine Normal University (PNU) and the like receive as starting salaries.
|Teachers in SUCs||Salary Grade (SG) and Step||Starting Salary per Month in 2023|
|Instructor 1||SG 14-1||P33,843.00|
|Instructor 2||SG 15-1||P36,619.00|
|Instructor 3||SG 15-3||P37,380.00|
|Instructor 4||SG 16-1||P39,672.00|
|Instructor 5||SG 16-3||P40,509.00|
|Instructor 6||SG 17-1||P43,030.00|
|Instructor 7||SG 17-3||P43,951.00|
|Teaching Associate||SG 16-3||P40,509.00|
|Teaching Fellow||SG 18-1||P46,725.00|
|Assistant Professor 1||SG 18-1||P46,725.00|
|Assistant Professor 2||SG 19-1||P51,357.00|
|Assistant Professor 3||SG 19-3||P52,847.00|
|Assistant Professor 4||SG 20-1||P57,347.00|
|Assistant Professor 5||SG 21-1||P63,997.00|
|Assistant Professor 6||SG 21-3||P65,899.00|
|Assistant Professor 7||SG 21-5||P67,864.00|
|Associate Professor 1||SG 22-4||P74,762.00|
|Associate Professor 2||SG 22-5||P75,881.00|
|Associate Professor 3||SG 23-4||P83,683.00|
|Associate Professor 4||SG 24-3||P93,043.00|
|Associate Professor 5||SG 25-2||P104,366.00|
|Associate Professor 6||SG 25-3||P106,069.00|
|Associate Professor 7||SG 25-5||P109,560.00|
|Professor 1||SG 26-4||P121,814.00|
|Professor 2||SG 26-5||P123,803.00|
|Professor 3||SG 26-6||P125,823.00|
|Professor 4||SG 27-5||P139,897.00|
|Professor 5||SG 27-6||P142,180.00|
|Professor 6||SG 27-7||P144,501.00|
|Professor 7||SG 28-6||P160,664.00|
|Professor 8||SG 28-7||P163,286.00|
|Professor 9||SG 28-8||P165,951.00|
|Professor 10||SG 29-7||P184,513.00|
|Professor 11||SG 29-8||P187,525.00|
|Professor 12||SG 29-8||P187,525.00|
|University Professor||SG 30-3||P195,425.00|
|Vice Chancellor||SG 28-1||P148,171.00|
|Vice President||SG 29-1||P167,432.00|
|Executive VP||SG 30-1||P189,199.00|
|University President||SG 31-1||P278,434.00|
Starting Salary of Instructors in State Universities in 2023
- The monthly salary of Instructor 1 in 2023 is P33,843.00.
- The monthly salary of Instructor 2 in 2023 is P36,619.00.
- The monthly salary of Instructor 3 in 2023 is P37,380.00.
- The monthly salary of Instructor 4 in 2023 is P39,672.00.
- The monthly salary of Instructor 5 in 2023 is P40,509.00.
- The monthly salary of Instructor 6 in 2023 is P43,030.00.
- The monthly salary of Instructor 7 in 2023 is P43,951.00.
- The monthly salary of a Teaching Associate in 2023 is P40,509.00.
- The monthly salary of a Teaching Fellow in 2023 is P46,725.00.
Starting Salary of Assistant Professors in State Universities in 2023
- The monthly salary of Assistant Professor 1 in 2023 is P46,725.00.
- The monthly salary of Assistant Professor 2 in 2023 is P51,357.00.
- The monthly salary of Assistant Professor 3 in 2023 is P52,847.00.
- The monthly salary of Assistant Professor 4 in 2023 is P57,347.00.
- The monthly salary of Assistant Professor 5 in 2023 is P63,997.00.
- The monthly salary of Assistant Professor 6 in 2023 is P65,899.00.
- The monthly salary of Assistant Professor 7 in 2023 is P67,864.00.
Starting Salary of Associate Professors in State Universities in 2023
- The monthly salary of Associate Professor 1 in 2023 is P74,762.00.
- The monthly salary of Associate Professor 2 in 2023 is P75,881.00.
- The monthly salary of Associate Professor 3 in 2023 is P83,683.00.
- The monthly salary of Associate Professor 4 in 2023 is P93,043.00.
- The monthly salary of Associate Professor 5 in 2023 is P104,366.00.
- The monthly salary of Associate Professor 6 in 2023 is P106,069.00.
- The monthly salary of Associate Professor 7 in 2023 is P109,560.00.
Starting Salary of Professors in State Universities in 2023
- The monthly salary of Professor 1 in 2023 is P121,814.00.
- The monthly salary of Professor 2 in 2023 is P123,803.00.
- The monthly salary of Professor 3 in 2023 is P125,823.00.
- The monthly salary of Professor 4 in 2023 is P139,897.00.
- The monthly salary of Professor 5 in 2023 is P142,180.00.
- The monthly salary of Professor 6 in 2023 is P144,501.00.
- The monthly salary of Professor 7 in 2023 is P160,664.00.
- The monthly salary of Professor 8 in 2023 is P163,286.00.
- The monthly salary of Professor 9 in 2023 is P165,951.00.
- The monthly salary of Professor 10 in 2023 is P84,513.00.
- The monthly salary of Professor 11 in 2023 is P187,525.00.
- The monthly salary of Professor 12 in 2023 is P187,525.00.
- The monthly salary of a University Professor in 2023 is P195,425.00.
Starting Salary of Administrators of State Universities in 2023
- The monthly salary of the President of the University in 2023 is P278,434.00.
- The monthly salary of the Executive Vice President of the University in 2023 is P189,199.00.
- The monthly salary of a Vice President of the University in 2023 is P167,432.00.
- The monthly salary of a Chancellor of the University in 2023 is P167,432.00.
- The monthly salary of a Vice Chancellor of the University in 2023 is P148,171.00.
Contractual, Casual, Part-time employees included in SSL?
All government personnel — regardless if regular, contractual or casual, appointive or elective, and on full-time or part-time contract — are covered by the Salary Standardization Law (SSL).
As approved, the SSL prescribes the salary increase for “all civilian government personnel in the Executive, Legislative and Judicial Branches, Constitutional Commissions and other Constitutional Offices, Government-owned or Controlled Corporations (GOCCs) not covered by Republic Act (R.A.) No. 10149, and local government units (LGUs).”
However, payment for employees engaged on a part-time basis shall receive compensation proportionate to the actual services rendered.
Casual personnel, meanwhile, shall receive daily wage which shall be computed by dividing the applicable monthly salary rate by twenty-two (22) working days.
Finally, take note that the following government personnel are excluded from the SSL and shall receive salaries based on separate laws applicable to their compensation:
- (a) Military and uniformed personnel;
- (b) GOCCs under R.A. No. 10149 which shall be covered by a Compensation and Position Classification System (CPCS) established by the Governance Commission for GOCCs (GCG) and approved by the President of the Philippines; and
- (c) Individuals whose services are engaged through job orders, contracts of service, consultancy or service contracts with no employer-employee relationship.
Continuation of Pres. Noynoy Aquino’s SSL Salary Increases
By signing the law, Pres. Rodrigo Duterte continued the annual salary increase for government workers initiated by former Pres. Noynoy Aquino, which started with SSL 1 in 2016 ending with SSL 4 in 2019.
Upon full implementation in 2023, basic salaries of government employees would have increased by a weighted average of 23.24%.
Employees ranked from Salary Grade (SG) 1 to 10 received a salary increase from 17.5% to 20.5% from 2020 until 2023.
Those ranked SG 11 to 15 received the highest increase, with their salaries growing by 20% to 30% over the four-year period.
Meanwhile, those with higher ranks, specifically from SG 25 to 33, were allocated the lowest salary percentage increase at just 8%, although nominally, they also receive the highest amounts of monthly salaries.