PMT Forum
How do you want to make money today?

Insurance, Do I Need It Now?

Jut · 33 · 6701

Jut

• Probie
on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:21 PM
Hi guys, new to this forum. I'm 21 and have been working for almost a year now as a territory manager for a petroleum company.

I have recently developed an interest in investing, with the primary objective of capital accumulation for future purchases (house, car, wedding, etc) as well as building capital for business in the future.In the various articles/books/posts that I've read, I noticed that it is frequently recommended to get insurance coverage, especially while you're young (as premiums are low). I would like to ask if this is also applicable in my case.

My company provides group life insurance coverage (mine is approximately 2M I think) via BPI-Philam, as well as medical coverage via Maxicare (30k for outpatient, and around 300k for in-patient, per illness). These plans already cover my parents who are my only dependents for now, though I don't have an idea if this coverage is sufficient.

My question is, do I still need to purchase insurance on top of my company's benefits?

As a follow-up, what is the recommended product for insurance coverage for someone like me who has recently begun investing in stocks and UITF/index funds?

I thought at first that an insurance product that has both life coverage and mutual funds would be good, but I noticed that Philam's returns are nowhere near the returns of BDO's UITF or even the PSEi.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this. Thanks in advance! :D

george88

• PMT Idol 1000
Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2014, 08:20 PM
You don't need it Jut at that age put your money in growing funds...you have group life already learn from my experience but if you talk to sales agent of insurance you will end up buying it because you are half yes already in Insurance product...

bauer

• VIP 4500
Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2014, 01:38 PM
My question is, do I still need to purchase insurance on top of my company's benefits?

As a follow-up, what is the recommended product for insurance coverage for someone like me who has recently begun investing in stocks and UITF/index funds?

Take advantage of your young age.  Absolutely get a life insurance and pay it personally.  Get a whole life plan with a fixed payment period.  It is the best and most cost effective for you.

Do not rely on the company's group insurance because if you leave the company, you will lose the insurance benefit as well.

There is no need to secure a separate health benefit coverage since the company you work for now is paying the bill.

Investments, if it is carefully manage, takes time to grow but we are facing a lot of life's risks and challenges on a daily basis so a good insurance protection is mandatory for a secure living.

Jut

• Probie
Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2014, 12:29 AM
Take advantage of your young age.  Absolutely get a life insurance and pay it personally.  Get a whole life plan with a fixed payment period.  It is the best and most cost effective for you.

Do not rely on the company's group insurance because if you leave the company, you will lose the insurance benefit as well.

There is no need to secure a separate health benefit coverage since the company you work for now is paying the bill.

Investments, if it is carefully manage, takes time to grow but we are facing a lot of life's risks and challenges on a daily basis so a good insurance protection is mandatory for a secure living.

When you mean whole life plan, what exactly is this? I really don't have an idea on the different life insurance products in the market right now.

Also, I'm curious as to why you suggest to get a life plan but not a health plan, when both benefits currently offered by my company will be terminated when I leave. Hope you can enlighten me on this.

As a side thought, since I'm being covered by group insurance now, wouldn't it be better to put my money in a long-term investment (stocks or UITF) that ultimately has higher returns compared to an insurance plan?

Thanks a lot :)

DarnaNarda

• Forum Tambay 100
Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2014, 12:34 PM
When you mean whole life plan, what exactly is this? I really don't have an idea on the different life insurance products in the market right now.

Also, I'm curious as to why you suggest to get a life plan but not a health plan, when both benefits currently offered by my company will be terminated when I leave. Hope you can enlighten me on this.

As a side thought, since I'm being covered by group insurance now, wouldn't it be better to put my money in a long-term investment (stocks or UITF) that ultimately has higher returns compared to an insurance plan?

Thanks a lot :)

Hi Sir,

Investment and Insurance, although very related caters to different aspects of one's life. For example po, suppose you have money in the bank, real estate and other investments which are really yielding high returns. You have a wife and kids, you are living a very good life. Suddenly, you were diagnosed to have a terminal illness. What happens to all of the things you have now?

Company provided HMO has a low Maximum Benefit Limit, the mostI would say is 200K. Of course, HMO doesnt cover terminal illness medications because it would cost more than what they are giving you as a benefit. Suppose this happens, your finances would be depleted. But let's say you are very rich and very liquid, you have so much that millions of pesos for medications would not deplete your resources. So you are fine...not.

Let's say this terminal illness takes away your life, if course your wife and kids will be taken cared of the assets and estate you own. Until your wife discovers that the estate taxes would cost about 30% of your estate, that the bank would require a ton of documentation and judicial and extra-judicial settlements etc, etc... So will be charged with so much especially if your estate is more than 2M pesos.

What am I saying is this, there are 2 constant things in life. Death and Taxes. You will do yourself and your family a favor if you address these constant things while you are here. If you get yourself a decent insurance (personally) term insurance renews each year and yes when you're not with the company anymore, you're not covered. Having an insurance is like having a safety net for your family. When all else fails, your plans will work for your family. I know some products that would pay you in advance for the treatment if you are diagnosed to have a terminal illness and this is a life insurance.

Whole life insurance is a good idea if you are thinking of dying before your family can benefit from it. What would make an interesting investment and protection is a unit linked product with living benefits or endowments, you can choose an insurance product with retirement benefits, there are a lot to choose from, so many options all of which would cover the problem of having to pay for estate taxes, insurance policies are tax free when given to the beneficiary.

bauer

• VIP 4500
Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2014, 12:59 PM

It is better to talk directly with an insurance agent for a good detailed explanation but sometimes they will try to sell you other products that will mean more income from them.  If this is the case, replace them and talk to a sincere agent that thinks what is best for you.  I am not an insurance man but the best for you is a whole life plan with a fixed payment period.  The life plan should not be variable type or a VUL type.

I advise you to secure a life insurance but not a health plan because all health plans are paid on an annual basis only so it does not matter who is paying for it since you cannot secure a health plan that has a long period of coverage say 5 or 10 years. 

there are many health plans in the market right now BUT I think only Blue cross is offering a medical insurance.  Medical insurance is the best option instead of a health plans due to greater flexibility in case of terminal illnesses.

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2014, 01:01 PM by bauer »

bauer

• VIP 4500
Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2014, 01:11 PM

The group insurance is geared towards the needs of the company, not you.  If you have your own life insurance plan, the focus is your own needs.

To illustrate for better understanding,

Person A, age 22
group plan insurance coverage is 200k upon death (check if it is work related death only)
your money is invested in UITF (or mutual fund), worth right now is 100k

Person B, age 22
group plan coverage - 200k
money spent for whole life plan is 20k annual premium for say 2 million cover
money in UITF (or mutual) worth now is 80k (since a portion is paid for life insurance premium)

theoretically both person died at age 25 by accident

Money to be receive by beneficiaries of person A, group plan (200k) plus UITF or mutual proceeds (100k x 3 years =300k) plus earnings say 10% per year, so you may add between 30k to 60k
total will be 530k to 560k

Money to be received by beneficiaries of person B, group plan (200k) plus life insurance (2M) plus UITF or mutual proceeds (80k x 3 years = 240k) plus earnings same with person A, you may add 24k to 48k
total will be 2M plus

So which one is better?

agui

• Forum Tambay 100
Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2014, 08:12 PM
The group insurance is geared towards the needs of the company, not you.  If you have your own life insurance plan, the focus is your own needs.

Person A, age 22
group plan insurance coverage is 200k upon death (check if it is work related death only)

Person B, age 22
money in UITF (or mutual) worth now is 80k (since a portion is paid for life insurance premium)

Money to be receive by beneficiaries of person A, group plan (200k) plus UITF or mutual proceeds (100k x 3 years =300k) plus earnings say 10% per year, so you may add between 30k to 60k

Money to be received by beneficiaries of person B, group plan (200k) plus life insurance (2M) plus UITF or mutual proceeds (80k x 3 years = 240k) plus earnings same with person A, you may add 24k to 48k
total will be 2M plus

So which one is better?

Nice illustration sir :)

Jut

• Probie
Reply #8 on: Apr 01, 2014, 09:46 PM

Person A, age 22

Person B, age 22

total will be 2M plus

So which one is better?

Indeed, bro, having an insurance is good for your beneficiaries if something happens before your investments mature.
The question isn't whether I should get insurance or not, because the answer is a definitive yes. I'm just looking into the benefits and opportunity cost of getting insurance now.

One thing that's holding me back from getting insurance now is that I don't have any dependents. My parents are self-sufficient and will not need any financial assistance should I die before I reach 30. I also don't have any plans to start a family and have kids before 30.

Does this change things? Would it be better for me to invest now and then just get insurance later on when I actually have dependents that would need it? I'm just thinking of the opportunity cost of compounding interest if I leave my money longer in equity.

Thanks a lot for the enlightening insights sir :)

Jut

• Probie
Reply #9 on: Apr 01, 2014, 10:18 PM
Hi Sir,

Investment and Insurance, although very related caters to different aspects of one's life. For example po, suppose you have money in the bank, real estate and other investments which are really yielding high returns. You have a wife and kids, you are living a very good life. Suddenly, you were diagnosed to have a terminal illness. What happens to all of the things you have now?

Actually sir, I don't have a wife and/or kids yet, so I don't have any dependents. This is one of the factors influencing why I am considering delaying my purchase of an insurance plan to when I'll need it.

Company provided HMO has a low Maximum Benefit Limit, the mostI would say is 200K. Of course, HMO doesnt cover terminal illness medications because it would cost more than what they are giving you as a benefit. Suppose this happens, your finances would be depleted.

Our company's MBL is 630k per illness. I understand that fatal cases could cost more than that. But if and when the situation comes to that point, I think that it is life insurance that should help cover costs and not just HMO.

If you get yourself a decent insurance (personally) term insurance renews each year and yes when you're not with the company anymore, you're not covered.

I agree sir. Am now planning to cut my group insurance subscription so I can reallocate the funds to either investments or personal insurance.

Having an insurance is like having a safety net for your family. When all else fails, your plans will work for your family. I know some products that would pay you in advance for the treatment if you are diagnosed to have a terminal illness and this is a life insurance.

Whole life insurance is a good idea if you are thinking of dying before your family can benefit from it. What would make an interesting investment and protection is a unit linked product with living benefits or endowments, you can choose an insurance product with retirement benefits, there are a lot to choose from, so many options all of which would cover the problem of having to pay for estate taxes, insurance policies are tax free when given to the beneficiary.

I understand that preparing for your family is the basic tenet of getting insurance. However, as I said, I have no dependents so no one will really need any assistance should I die early.

I looked at unit-linked insurance and the coverage isn't really much higher than the premiums you pay. Furthermore, the fund performance of equity managed by the insurance firm isn't as good as the dedicated UITFs of banks or MF of companies like PhilEquity.

I would like to clarify what you mean when it comes to all the estate taxes that you are referring to - I actually have nothing to leave behind right now, but the expectation is to have at least a house to leave to my future family if I die in my 30s. What are the payments necessary, and what is the difference if the payment used to settle these taxes come from insurance vs gains from my investments (which would most likely have grown over that 15-year period)?

Thanks and sorry for the many questions. I have a lot more to learn when it comes to planning my finances and future. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2014, 10:25 PM by Jut »

DarnaNarda

• Forum Tambay 100
Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2014, 12:32 AM

Actually sir, I don't have a wife and/or kids yet, so I don't have any dependents. This is one of the factors influencing why I am considering delaying my purchase of an insurance plan to when I'll need it.

Ok, to answer your questions, for now you dont have any dependents yet, but in the future you will need it. So if you start early, you finish paying up early and when the time comes that you would need these coverage, you are not going to pay for it anymore because depending on your short, medium or long term plans, your insurance may be self liquidating (paying for itself) already or just waiting to mature (if you get endowments) Yes, the policies will not give you the highest yield, but it will certainly give you protection. If you have started early and you have already "paid your obligation to yourself" you can now start building up your wealth and do whatever you please. Insurance is  forced savings meaning you need to consciously pay for it. You parents are self sufficient, right. But when a person leaves, he leaves people behind. You would want to go in a good manner meaning you want a decent memorial service and what not. These all costs something and you dont want the people you leave behind shoulder these costs for you.

[Our company's MBL is 630k per illness. I understand that fatal cases could cost more than that. But if and when the situation comes to that point, I think that it is life insurance that should help cover costs and not just HMO.

HMO does not cover recuperation expenses, private nurse, terminal illness, organ transplant, mental illness etc, but I assume you are a healthy and very very cautious of your surroundings. Its just that accidents do happen.

I agree sir. Am now planning to cut my group insurance subscription so I can reallocate the funds to either investments or personal insurance.

Sir, you do not have to cut your term insurance. First of all, a person's life is priceless, so it doesnt matter how many policies of how much coverage you have as long as you can pay for the protection, even if you have double or triple policies, it is ok.

I understand that preparing for your family is the basic tenet of getting insurance. However, as I said, I have no dependents so no one will really need any assistance should I die early.

I looked at unit-linked insurance and the coverage isn't really much higher than the premiums you pay. Furthermore, the fund performance of equity managed by the insurance firm isn't as good as the dedicated UITFs of banks or MF of companies like PhilEquity.

There is no insurance product that could guarantee you high yield. As I have mentioned, these are for protection and some low yield investment. The difference is when you suddenly or unexpectedly expire.

I would like to clarify what you mean when it comes to all the estate taxes that you are referring to - I actually have nothing to leave behind right now, but the expectation is to have at least a house to leave to my future family if I die in my 30s. What are the payments necessary, and what is the difference if the payment used to settle these taxes come from insurance vs gains from my investments (which would most likely have grown over that 15-year period)?

I am no expert in computing for taxes but there is a bracket of percentage taxable in everyone's estate, let me paste a link  of sample computation here courtesy of the BIR Website: http://www.bir.gov.ph/taxinfo/tax_estate.htm

I have been in the industry for almost a decade to know that getting "mana" has a lot of legal measures. For example, you leave behind bank savings, stocks, dividends or whatever it is you have when you were around. Then you leave behind a written will and testament, this will be contested by ALL of your relatives. The bank would want to know who are these heirs and if you have heirs that are minor, they would need an administrator, so here's what happens (the Familia Zaragoza Teleserye happens) first, the bank asks for Heirs Bond, Administrator's Bond and all proof of eligibility with your heirs. Then, the BIR will compute for your estate taxes. They explain that you need to pay the "estate" tax because when you were alive, you were able to acquire these properties or your wealth with the help of the state, so it will not be possible for you to have gotten these wealth without the state, therefore they will collect. Anyway, after that, there will either be a judicial (if parties contest each other) or extra judicial settlement if they agree on their shares. So all of this will take time, money and effort but its a must. I tapped the estate tax issue because your insurance protection is tax free. Say you need to pay for estate tax for a 20M estate, kunwari 20% ang singil ni BIR thats 4M right? If you have a 4M worth of insurance, then its as if your beneficiaries NEVER paid the estate tax, they can offset the tax against the insurance policy.

Thanks and sorry for the many questions. I have a lot more to learn when it comes to planning my finances and future. :)

Your welcome. Glad to help. Btw, DarnaNarda is not a sir, but I get the point.

DarnaNarda

• Forum Tambay 100
Reply #11 on: Apr 02, 2014, 01:47 AM
 :yehey: P.S. One other reason why you SHOULD insure now is, TODAY you are perfectly healthy and has a sound mind. Pero months or years from now, you may discover or acquire some sickness, E.g. kaka trade mo nabaliw baliw ka na hehe, or meron ka palang sakit na hindi mo alam kasi walang symptoms, then it happens na may pamilya ka na and you want to be insured...eh di nag apply ka..eh di minedical ka nila..eh di nalaman nila na may sakit ka..eh di dinecline ka...ayun uninsurable ka na po pala. Sayang ang panahon kung hindi mo bibigyan ng halaga na very healthy ka at insurable...

bauer

• VIP 4500
Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2014, 10:01 PM
Does this change things? 

NO

bauer

• VIP 4500
Reply #13 on: Apr 02, 2014, 10:06 PM
  Would it be better for me to invest now and then just get insurance later on when I actually have dependents that would need it?

Save and invest now -  good there's nothing wrong with it

Getting an insurance now -  this is to take care of life's risk.

Come to think of it, gusto mo ilagay lahat agad sa investment ang pera mo at ayaw mo ng insurance kasi hindi naman kailangan ng pera ng magulang mo.  Kung mamatay ka suddenly, kanino mapupunta ang pera sa investments mo?  the same persons that you do not intend to give money (insurance proceeds). 

Jut

• Probie
Reply #14 on: Apr 02, 2014, 11:32 PM
Come to think of it, gusto mo ilagay lahat agad sa investment ang pera mo at ayaw mo ng insurance kasi hindi naman kailangan ng pera ng magulang mo.  Kung mamatay ka suddenly, kanino mapupunta ang pera sa investments mo?  the same persons that you do not intend to give money (insurance proceeds).

I didn't say that I didn't want insurance, I was just asking if it was more advantageous to get it now as compared to, say 5 or 10 years from now.

Sorry I didn't quite get the last sentence, I'm not too familiar with insurance proceeds and how my untimely death would result to insurance collectors benefiting from my investments. Hope you could explain further.

I'm sorry if I keep on asking. This is just my way to validate that getting insurance now is really the best option to take.

PMT Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Post only questions or comments here. Advertisements NOT ALLOWED.
  • oragon: :applause:
    May 20, 2019, 03:53 PM
  • FutureGizmo: Thank you for reporting those spam posts, oragon! Spam posts now deleted.
    May 20, 2019, 01:59 PM
  • oragon: Admin kindly monitor some peps! posting and sharing inappropriate nude photos and website links
    May 20, 2019, 01:52 PM
  • @culinary10: Hello I am new here! Regarding sa bdo life insurance for 8 years, pwede pa kaya ma refund yung binayad ko na 50k last year? Gusto ko sana icancel kasi lack of financial na, last may 15 2018 po un nag start ako ng life insurance, pinili ko annually kaso etong may 15 2019 wala nako ma ipay so gusto ko sana icash out, may alam ba kayo kung pano marerefund?
    May 17, 2019, 07:56 PM
  • FutureGizmo: Hi Sonny, the posting issue is now resolved. Thanks for informing us! We're currently testing a new, mobile-ready theme so let us us know kung may problema pa sa Forum. :)
    Apr 04, 2019, 10:40 AM
  • sonny.wapak: Nakaka receive din ba kayo nito pag gawa ng new post? "Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator."
    Apr 03, 2019, 10:56 PM
  • leonine_zafiro: what product nun?
    Apr 01, 2019, 10:25 PM
  • dhondiex27: hi
    Mar 30, 2019, 10:55 PM
  • lusart: jayrob i agree 200%. hulog ng langit organico. legit na legit
    Mar 29, 2019, 09:08 AM
  • palemelch: Hi
    Mar 28, 2019, 04:08 PM
  • O.C.W._AK: Magandang Araw sa Lahat! Blessings! (",)
    Mar 28, 2019, 08:42 AM
  • thor15: hello everyone, newbie here
    Mar 25, 2019, 01:47 AM
  • captjaylo: present newbie here
    Mar 22, 2019, 10:06 AM
  • balboagilbert26: hello Guys .. Newbie here
    Mar 21, 2019, 10:55 PM
  • businesswoman2019: @jefsanity nag inquire na po ako pero di sila nagdidisclose. Yung branch po kasi na target ko, currently building pa.
    Mar 21, 2019, 04:27 PM
  • jefsanity: @businesswoman2019, much better inquire ka na lang sa admin nila.
    Mar 21, 2019, 01:51 PM
  • businesswoman2019: Hello! Any idea how much ang stall sa waltermart. 2m x 2m
    Mar 21, 2019, 08:28 AM
  • John Neil: Looking for an accredited iron foundry
    Mar 17, 2019, 03:19 PM
  • jayrob: Mark_Lee ung organico legit po yan..  Member din AQ..
    Mar 17, 2019, 12:57 AM
  • perlymelad: Hello po! Need advice, why my new MLM leaders failing?
    Mar 14, 2019, 08:51 PM
  • perlymelad: Present
    Mar 12, 2019, 07:53 PM
  • kennethmauricio: Hi saan po dito pwede mag post ng for sale properties?
    Mar 11, 2019, 07:58 PM
  • jefsanity: @mark_lee isipin mo anu passion mo at skills mo...
    Mar 11, 2019, 06:52 PM
  • sniperaj09: BAGO LANG
    Mar 10, 2019, 11:16 AM
  • mark_Lee: magandang investnent ngayon sa 30k suggest naman keo mga boss
    Mar 10, 2019, 03:07 AM
  • perlymelad: E-BOOK PO SIR @JEFSANITY
    Mar 09, 2019, 05:40 PM
  • perlymelad: @jefsanity Good Morning Po
    Mar 09, 2019, 05:39 PM
  • perlymelad: Good Day everyone
    Mar 04, 2019, 06:24 PM
  • jefsanity: anu ang small business na yan?
    Feb 28, 2019, 07:40 PM
  • perlymelad: Good Day Everyone
    Feb 28, 2019, 03:31 PM
  • perlymelad: Hello everyone, CAN ANYONE HELP ME SUGGEST ANY SIDE TOPIC  / PROBLEM OF  STARTING SMALL BUSINESS?
    Feb 28, 2019, 06:58 AM
  • perlymelad: Present, 1st time po
    Feb 25, 2019, 06:17 PM
  • jd2281: newbie po
    Feb 25, 2019, 12:26 PM
  • ejllantino: present... 1st time
    Feb 24, 2019, 07:14 PM
  • rheiel: present. first time
    Feb 24, 2019, 11:04 AM
  • MELVIE: thanks po
    Feb 24, 2019, 12:50 AM
  • steph123: hello po, ask lang po, ilang months po ba ang hihintayin after mo ma process ang mga documents para maitama ang mali sa NSO?
    Feb 11, 2019, 03:13 PM
  • Deborah: newbie here.thanks
    Feb 08, 2019, 02:17 PM
  • marj0503: hello im newbie here
    Jan 31, 2019, 10:53 AM
  • yan24: any one here planning to start a tesda skill training center
    Jan 26, 2019, 12:07 PM
  • manzjon: Forex trading forum
    Jan 25, 2019, 02:16 PM
  • Lizette Ramos: Pwede po bang patulong... Maganda po ba ang gasul retailing business?
    Jan 24, 2019, 09:14 PM
  • Imnobody: Hi sino naghahanap ng casino financer dito?
    Jan 16, 2019, 09:59 PM
  • Odlanyer22: Good day!
    Jan 16, 2019, 09:55 PM
  • maryen: at kung sakaling may somobra sa food na nailuto.. dapat po bang bayaran ng client un .. or ipapa take mo na sakanila?...
    Jan 16, 2019, 03:52 PM
  • maryen: HI! GOOD DAY! newbiz lang po... question lang po regarding sa catering.. if may 50pax po ako dapat lang po ba na sakto ang serving ng food?
    Jan 16, 2019, 03:50 PM
  • mark_Lee: cno na nag organico dito scam po ba yun or legit
    Jan 09, 2019, 03:04 AM
  • kuray08: Have a Prosperous New Year to all..
    Jan 06, 2019, 09:27 PM
  • ethan: Sino po may auto supply business dito? How profitable po ba ito in terms of monthly income? Lalo na kung meron na one or two na competition.
    Jan 04, 2019, 11:34 AM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: HAPPY NEW YEAR!
    Jan 02, 2019, 04:37 PM