Performance returns of mutual funds in the Philippines (as of 11-29-2006)
December 4, 2006
Following is a summary of performance returns of Philippine mutual funds as of the week ended November 29, 2006.
As always, when analyzing mutual funds you should not simply look at the NAVPS or Net Asset Value per Share. This number does not necessarily tell you whether the fund is performing well or not, but the change of the NAVPS over time does. Never assume that a fund with a high NAVPS means it is generating high returns. You need to look at actual returns of the fund over a certain time horizon.
Highlights of this week's results
- Last week's drop of the Philippine stock market caused by technical correction and lack of leads took its toll in the equity funds as all funds ended the week lower compared to the preceding week.
- This week's top three equity funds in terms of YTD return: (1) First Metro Save and Learn Equity Fund – 61.75%; (2) Philequity Fund, Inc. – 42.71%; (3) ATR-Kim Eng Equity Opportunity Fund – 37.04%.
- The decline in the stock market extended to balanced funds as all funds closed the week either unchanged or lower in value.
- Bucking the trend, SunLife's Dollar Advantage Fund increased this week, repeating the same feat as last week.
- This week's top three equity funds in terms of YTD return: (1) GSIS Kinabukasan Fund – 32.69%; (2) Sunlife Prosperity Balanced Fund, Inc. – 28.76%; (3) Philam Fund, Inc. – 28.55%.
- Peso-denominated bond funds bounced back from a slump last week, with only two funds shedding value.
- Gainers: ATR-Kim Eng Fixed Income Fund, Ayala Life Fixed Income Fund, Inc., Cocolife Fized Income Fund, Inc., First Metro Save and Learn Fixed Income Fund, Grepalife Fixed Income Fund, Inc., Philam Bond Fund, Inc., Philam Managed Income Fund, Prudential Fixed Income Fund, Inc., Sunlife Prosperity Bond Fund, Inc., and Sunlife Prosperity GS Fund.
- Losers: Ekklesia Mutual Fund and Legacy GS Fund, Inc.
- On a week-to-week basis, all foreign currency-denominated bond funds again increased value — same as last week.
- This week's top three peso bond funds in terms of YTD return: (1) Ekklesia Mutual Fund – 17.89%; (2) Prudential Fixed Income Fund, Inc. – 15.08%; (3) Philam Bond Fund, Inc. – 13.17%.
- This week's top three foreign currency-denominated bond funds in terms of YTD return: (1) Sunlife Prosperity Dollar Abundance Fund (USD$) – 7.57%; (2) Grepalife Dollar Bond Fund (USD$) – 7.24%; (3) Philam Dollar Bond Fund, Inc. (USD$) – 7.12%.
Money market funds
- Repeating their respective performance last week, Sun Life Prosperity Money Market Fund edged a few more points while Legacy TD Fund, Inc. lost some points.
Discuss these results in the Mutual funds, UITF and other investments board in the PMT Forum.
Returns of Philippine Mutual Funds, as of November 29, 2006
NAVPS Source: www.icap.com.ph
[tags]mutual funds Philippines, Philippine mutual fund, daily returns, weekly returns, mutual fund performance, Net Asset Value per Share[/tags]
Click for more interesting, useful and related posts:
- barry knier philippines