PMT Forum

News: The **7 Most Popular PMT boards** are now on top! Check out the Forum homepage!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Exploiting the Wisdom of People Who've Been There (for autodidact)  (Read 73568 times)

Online wilch23

• VIP 4000
  • Thanks Received: 5
But we don't predict, we only speculate! Hehe

Offline Wills

• Awesome Member
  • Thanks Received: 3
Well, you guys speculate the numbers and VIs don't predict the numbers! LOL
Veganism is for Health
Value Investing is for Wealth

Offline Wills

• Awesome Member
One of the best!

BRK Annual Meeting yr. 2009

What two industries are the first you should learn when developing your circle of competence?

Look for simple businesses. If I gave you $10M to invest right now and you only had three weeks to spend it and you could only spend it in Omaha, you’d look for simple, understandable, strong businesses. You look at the Nebraska Furniture Mart (NFM). You wouldn’t look at the third best fast food chain. You might look at McDonald’s, because it is number one and will probably always been number one. They have share of mind. What about Oracle? Too hard. GM? Too hard. You can’t predict the future for these two companies. Too many variables.

Investment knowledge is cumulative, and things you learn will make you better in the future. Stick to things you understand. Mrs. B at NFM wouldn’t get paid in Berkshire stock. Why? She doesn’t know stocks, but she knows furniture down cold. How do you beat Bobby Fisher? Play him in anything except chess. Even young people have a circle of competence even if they don’t have their thoughts perfectly organized.

Veganism is for Health

PMT Forum

* * * * * sponsored links * * * * *

Offline Wills

• Awesome Member
Student Visit 2007

Is there a moral connection to who you invest in?

Charlie and I went to Memphis to look at a chewing tobacco company. In the end, we decided we didn’t want to own it. We would buy stock in a tobacco company, but we didn’t want to own it.

A good example is Charlie’s favorite company, Costco. They are the #3 distributor in the US of cigarettes, but you wouldn’t avoid buying it because of that. You’ll drive yourself crazy trying to keep track of these things. Our philosophy is that it’s impossible to grade marketable securities, but we’ll buy the stocks without any problems, but we just won’t be in certain businesses.

My view is that energy production should move to nuclear. It’s clean, cheap and safe. Coal emissions are bad for the environment; however it’s still a good company. It’s impossible to grade marketable securities on moral activity. Berkshire Hathaway has and will buy what trades, but will not buy companies that engage in certain behaviors. PetroChina owns 40% of the oil in the Sudan that is government owned. If they did not own it, someone else would. Also, you have to keep in mind, if PetroChina did not buy it its possible the Sudanese would own 100% of the oil rights and that’s not so good either.

I find it funny that people find time to protest PetroChina for ownership of the Sudanese oil, but with the $300 billion or so of imported goods from China, these same people don’t protest Chinese goods. They protest investment in Chinese companies though.
Veganism is for Health

Online wilch23

• VIP 4000
I don't know whether to laugh or cry, I presume it's Buffet talking here.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2013, 04:21 PM by wilch23 »

Offline chinito77

• Posting Guru
  • Thanks Received: 0
Nice articles sir wills for posting what buffet said here. :cool2:

:yoohoo:

Ikaw na bagong idol ko  :watchuthink:

PMT Forum

Offline Wills

• Awesome Member
^salamat na-appreciate mo ang thread na ito.

Ikaw ang Idol ko na entrepreneur dahil matapang na bata ka!
Veganism is for Health

Offline Wills

• Awesome Member
The question is have I bought a company when the numbers tells me not to and how much is qualitative and how much is quantitative... The best buys had been when the numbers almost tells you not to, I mean… because then you feel so strong about the product and not just the fact you're getting a used cigar butt cheap.

- Warren Buffett
Veganism is for Health

Offline Wills

• Awesome Member
Emory's Goizueta Business School and McCombs School of Business at UT Austin yr. 2008

Who do you think will be one of the next greatest investors and are you partial to favoring someone with a similar investment style as yours?

Buffett: We just finished looking for someone. The Board has 3 candidates to replace me as CEO and 4 candidates to replace me as investor. They are all doing fine where they are, but they would be willing to come over to Berkshire for less pay.

In 1969, I wound up my partnership and I had to help people find someone to manage their money. I recommended Bill Ruane of Sequoia Fund, Sandy Gottesman, who is currently on the board at Berkshire, and Walter Schloss, who I wrote about in “The Superinvestors of Graham and Dodds-ville”. There’s no way they could miss.

But I don’t know many of the newer investors, they’re not my contemporaries. It’s not enough to just look at track records. They aren’t predictive and there will always be a few people that do well. I know guys who can make 50% a year with $5 million, but not with $1 billion. The problem with guys that do well is they attract so much money that it neutralizes their advantage. It’s hard to identify them, and even harder to make a deal to keep them from attracting other capital. It’s like betting on a 12 year old horse that won at 3 years old. It’s also important to AVOID MANAGERS WHO USE LEVERAGE. It’s the reason that investors with 160 IQs FLAME OUT.
Veganism is for Health

Offline adam

• Posting Whiz
Hi sir wills,

what does it mean by this "AVOID MANAGERS WHO USE LEVERAGE"?

Offline Wills

• Awesome Member
When choosing a candidate to replace him(Buffett) as an investor in Berkshire he avoids managers who uses leverage. Why?

Buffett knows the history of stock market and witnessed disasters because of using leverage, watch mo sa youtube yung Story of Long term Capital Management, sobrang high tech, sobrang talino ng grupo na yun at pati sarili nilang pera nilagay nila dun dahil matatalino sila, may extensive experience sila at may system sila na talagang sophisticated and yet bumagsak pa rin sila.

For us the lesson there is don't use leverage, I believe in leverage if you are entrepreneur but if you are investor or managing a portfolio.... Leverage is a NO NO!

« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2013, 11:17 AM by Wills »
Veganism is for Health

Online wilch23

• VIP 4000
Leverage means betting more than what you have, in trading, that includes puts, shorts etc

Offline chinito77

• Posting Guru
^salamat na-appreciate mo ang thread na ito.

Ikaw ang Idol ko na entrepreneur dahil matapang na bata ka!

Naku po sir... wala pa ako napapatunayan.. still has a lot to learn from experiences and wisdom of older people like you  :cool2:

When choosing a candidate to replace him(Buffett) as an investor in Berkshire he avoids managers who uses leverage. Why?

Buffett knows the history of stock market and witnessed disasters because of using leverage, watch mo sa youtube yung Story of Long term Capital Management, sobrang high tech, sobrang talino ng grupo na yun at pati sarili nilang pera nilagay nila dun dahil matatalino sila, may extensive experience sila at may system sila na talagang sophisticated and yet bumagsak pa rin sila.

For us the lesson there is don't use leverage, I believe in leverage if you are entrepreneur but if you are investor or managing a portfolio.... Leverage is a NO NO!

Totoo po un sa entreprenuership lng magagamit ang katalinuhan.. hehe stock market has a lot of factors to consider..  :yoohoo: kasama na dun emotion m.  :harhar:

Offline Wills

• Awesome Member
Leverage means betting more than what you have, in trading, that includes puts, shorts etc

Yan ang malaking dahilan ng 1929 Great Depression
Veganism is for Health

Offline Wills

• Awesome Member
BRK Annual Meeting yr. 2009

Could you explain your opportunity cost decisions of the past year?

Buffett: Opportunity costs have been in the forefront of our minds during the last 18 months. It’s tougher to calibrate A, versus B, versus C in a fast-changing environment. Tougher and possibly more profitable. We got lots of calls [for potential investments]—most we ignored. We were called by Goldman Sachs on a Wednesday for $5 billion, and we [already] had a $5 billion commitment to Constellation Energy, $3 billion on Dow Chemical, $6.5 billion on the Wrigley Mars deal. We never want to get dependent on banks. It’s a good sign that we haven’t had the flurry [of phone calls] like last year. Normally, we would not have sold Johnson & Johnson if it were 10 – 15 points higher, [but we wanted to have a comfortable amount of cash on hand]. Our definition of comfortable is very comfortable.

[Comment: The real cost of any purchase isn’t the actual dollar cost. Rather, it’s the opportunity cost — the value of the investment you didn’t make, because you used your funds to buy something else.]
Veganism is for Health

PMT Forum

PMT Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Miguelfabon: Yes
    Today at 02:52 AM
  • realpassion: anyone here?
    Nov 30, 2016, 03:04 PM
  • Mila.Socialim: Hi po, kung sino po yong gusto ng additional income, PM niyo po ako, anytime. :)
    Nov 30, 2016, 02:20 PM
  • joanmatira0630: hi po bka may makatulong po skin to be financially stable..prob di ako maapproved sa mga bank loan dhil sa fault ng previous co ko..
    Nov 29, 2016, 07:48 PM
  • sheendelrosario: Paki message na lang po ako. Thanks
    Nov 29, 2016, 02:16 PM
  • sheendelrosario: Hi po. Baka gusto nyo o may kakilala kayong gustong magpagawa ng alahas. Pakirefer po sa akin. Thank you! :)
    Nov 29, 2016, 02:15 PM
  • preler: cnu may alam direct seller of power tools
    Nov 28, 2016, 01:04 PM
  • inv123456: hi
    Nov 25, 2016, 08:04 AM
  • jocyfruit: hi
    Nov 21, 2016, 03:00 PM
  • a.b: hi po
    Nov 21, 2016, 01:10 AM
  • boyBabsi: digidigidigidong digidigidong digidigidi digidong digidigidong - Kanta po yan nung Indian dance instructor sa Life of PI movie. . lss lang hahahaha Good day!
    Nov 20, 2016, 06:26 AM
  • irish10: Hi po!
    Nov 17, 2016, 04:27 PM
  • boyBabsi: Pwede po bang yumaman sa sabong? Why or why not?
    Nov 14, 2016, 04:59 AM
  • nievarezluela: hello alphaLen.. walang bangko ang malaki magbigay ng interes.. pagaralan mo ang Stock Market.. or mutual Fund.. dito lalago ang pera mo..
    Nov 11, 2016, 04:52 AM
  • Mr.DreamBoy: Hi guys.. im ofw ask lang po ako kung cno pwede hiraman nang pera kylangan kulang nang pocket money kahit magkano po ang tubo at handa po akung mag bigay nang Info or Requirments.. basta po matanggap ko ang pera bago ako mag flight.. salamat po godbless
    Nov 08, 2016, 10:47 PM
  • Reese77: Kamusta sa lahat.. tanong ko lang po may alam po ba kayong sanglaan dito sa riyadh? Need lang po ng money thanks.
    Nov 07, 2016, 07:21 AM
  • annjoo: @SiPoorMan Di naman necessarily lahat business minded.. More on wanting financial stability yung mga dito, I believe. If you want to talk with smart people, this the place! Ang raming matalino dito, so much to learn.
    Nov 03, 2016, 05:15 AM
  • Atoms22: Free sent here from UAE kabayan. .
    Nov 02, 2016, 12:49 AM
  • pulubing_palaboy: nothing in particular. i work in the city
    Nov 01, 2016, 02:11 AM
  • ManilaBoy40: Kind of, Why ...
    Oct 31, 2016, 02:13 PM
  • pulubing_palaboy: mb40, are you back in 9er land?
    Oct 29, 2016, 01:48 AM
  • ManilaBoy40: I've already returned sinced last year to my home country so I have no use for the Philippine citizenship , I only re-aquired when I was residing there ffrom 2008-2015 to avoid the penalty ...
    Oct 28, 2016, 08:22 AM
  • yllor: MB40, Why not take a holiday vacation to your second country where you had a citizenship for the next 6 years.
    Oct 28, 2016, 07:43 AM
  • ManilaBoy40: Anyone Know How to Renounce Philippine Citizenship that I Re-Aquired,Willing to Give Up the Maroon Passport Right Now and for the Next 6 Years ...
    Oct 28, 2016, 05:45 AM
  • sportugal: Pellazargen ako meron alam
    Oct 27, 2016, 01:23 PM
  • sportugal: Hello everyone
    Oct 27, 2016, 01:22 PM
  • ann.merz: hi po
    Oct 26, 2016, 02:02 PM
  • miaka0300: hi im newbie here, paano mag start?may points po ba kada mag popost ?paturo naman po.thanks
    Oct 23, 2016, 06:30 PM
  • lhenvaldez76: hi
    Oct 23, 2016, 01:42 AM
  • jell: hello
    Oct 22, 2016, 01:47 PM
  • SiPoorMan: nako mam ladyshai mahihirapan ka maghanap ng friends dito kasi puro halos mga businessminded no time for making friends, siguro business guru meron.. if friends ang hanap nyo prolly you are in a wrong forum.. ijs
    Oct 21, 2016, 12:51 AM
  • LadyShai: Hello i hope sana makahanap ako ng friends dito ,,,,
    Oct 18, 2016, 05:18 AM
  • SiPoorMan: sir pellazargen sa bank onyo p[o apply
    Oct 17, 2016, 08:37 PM
  • SiPoorMan: maganda hapon sa lahat
    Oct 17, 2016, 08:37 PM
  • pellazargen: bka po may alam po kayo :(
    Oct 17, 2016, 07:45 AM
  • pellazargen: Good morning po. May alam po ba kayo na pwede page sanglaan po ng bahay? Badly needed po kasi
    Oct 17, 2016, 07:45 AM
  • LadyShai: I need someone to talk to plssss niloko aq ng bf ko mrmi kmi plan nasa abrd aq kya pla di na nya ko tintwagan
    Oct 15, 2016, 09:30 PM
  • chris61: Hai! Dewa....nochihodo
    Oct 09, 2016, 10:06 AM
  • Gabrielle_Cruz1004: :thankyou:
    Oct 07, 2016, 12:52 PM
  • Gabrielle_Cruz1004: noob here.. =) thanks guys! <3
    Oct 07, 2016, 12:52 PM
  • budoi: konbanwa minnasan!
    Oct 03, 2016, 07:33 PM
  • CodyDeegan: Hola seniore!
    Oct 03, 2016, 04:15 PM
  • MARC_SANICO: konichiwa..
    Oct 02, 2016, 05:50 PM
  • MARC_SANICO: arigato go saimas.... Newbie..
    Oct 02, 2016, 05:50 PM
  • ivy_punzalan: ow. hello po
    Sep 27, 2016, 03:34 PM
  • CodyDeegan: :welcome: newbies :)
    Sep 27, 2016, 12:26 PM
  • kiriyama: *a while hahaha
    Sep 26, 2016, 01:27 PM
  • kiriyama: *a whil
    Sep 26, 2016, 01:27 PM
  • kiriyama: helow its been i while...hahaha si yllor nlng naalala ko dito hahaha
    Sep 26, 2016, 01:10 PM
  • AlphaLEN: Please suggest some local banks na nag bibigay ng highest interest..Wala pa po along saving and plan ko palang mag start..So I decided na alamin ko muna kung alin ang maganda..I also wanted to invest and according sa isang episode na napanood ko sa TV Pwede na mag start sa 500pesos..Nag tingin din ako sa internet and meron sa bpi. Anu po sa tingin nyo?
    Sep 25, 2016, 10:55 PM
BloQcs design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.11 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
SMFAds for Free Forums
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal