Pacquiao to get P5.4 billion from Mayweather fight?

James Ryan Jonas

Manny Pacquiao may have lost the boxing fight, but he won’t go home defeated on the money front. How much will Pacquiao’s camp receive from the “Fight of the Century” bout with Floyd Mayweather?

60-40 Payout Split

Mayweather Pacquiao May 2015 Boxing EarningsBased on the terms of the contract signed by Pacquiao and Mayweather, regardless of the outcome, Floyd Mayweather will get the higher share of the fight’s total payouts, with 60% going to Money Mayweather and the remaining 40% to Manny Pacquiao.

The May 3 fight is estimated to net revenues of at least $300 million, which means Pacquiao will get at least $120 million — or around P5.4 billion, his highest payout ever.

(See also: How rich is Manny Pacquiao?)

The final payout will be determined once the pay-per-view (PPV) buys are tallied, which represents the biggest source of income of the fighters.


Pay-per-view (PPV) buys

In the US, the MayPac pay-per-view costs a record-breaking $89 (P4,000) to watch in standard definition, while the high definition version costs $99 (P4,500).

The fight is jointly produced by networks HBO and Showtime, which will also get their share in the PPV earnings.

Prior to the Mayweather fight, Pacquiao earned a career-high $30 million (P1.34 billion) in PPV buys during his bout with Juan Manuel Marquez in 2011. Pacquiao won via a majority decision.

When Pacquiao delivered a knockout of Oscar de la Hoya in 2008, the former earned $15 million (P670 million) including his PPV share. Pacquiao has averaged 1.1 million PPV buys since then, but in the last two years, his PPV sales has since gone down, perhaps due to the fights being conducted ouside the US.


Mayweather biggest winner

In the MayPac fight, there is no doubt the biggest winner is Floyd “Money” Mayweather. Aside from retaining his WBA title, he is taking the lion’s share of the boxing fight’s total payouts.

Mayweather is expected to receive at least $180 million — translated to a staggering P8.0 billion.

His win will surely cement his top position in Forbes magazine’s list of Highest Paid Athletes this year, a spot he also held in 2014 after earning a total of $105 million (P4.7 billion).


Image source: Forbes magazine

James Ryan Jonas teaches business management, investments, and entrepreneurship at the University of the Philippines (UP). He is also the Executive Director of UP Provident Fund Inc., managing and investing P3.2 Billion ($56.4 Million) worth of retirement funds on behalf of thousands of UP employees.