Those interested to trade stocks in the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE) can choose to employ a live broker or an online stock brokerage firm. Either method has its own advantages and disadvantages and will be the subject of a separate article in the future.
For now, we’ll focus on online stock trading platforms. A list of available online stockbrokers in the Philippines can be found in this link.
Two of the most popular online stock trading platform providers are CitisecOnline (COL) and BPITrade. We have previously explained how to open a Citisec stock trading account. In this article, we will discuss how to open a BPITrade account.
What is BPITrade?
BPITrade is an online stock trading facility offered by BPI Securities Corporation, a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI), one of the Top 3 banks in the Philippines.
How to open a BPITrade online account?
1. First, you need to be an existing BPI or BPI Family Bank account holder in order to apply for a BPITrade account. If you’re not an existing client, you need to open at least a savings account with them in order to proceed.
2. Visit the website www.bpitrade.com and click on the link “Apply Now.”
3. On the site, fill out the Online Application Form and print the documents when done.
4. Go to a BPI or BPI Family Bank branch and submit the following:
- printed Application Form
- two (2) valid IDs, such as driver’s license, passport, company ID, SSS or GSIS ID, credit card with picture, or other valid IDs acceptable to the bank
- photocopies of the IDs
Take note that at this point, you are not making any deposit yet to your BPITrade account.
5. At the branch office, you will be asked to fill out some forms and the branch officer will verify your signatures. Once everything is complete, you will be told to wait for a confirmation email on how to fund your stock trading account.
6. The confirmation email normally arrives within 1-2 weeks. It will tell you if your BPITrade bank account has already been activated. In order to fund your account and to start trading, you will need your BPITrade bank account number. Look this up by logging on to the BPITrade website and going to the “Portfolio” menu.
7. How to fund your BPITrade online stock trading account:
- Branch Deposit – Go to any BPI branch and make an over-the-counter deposit to your BPI Trade bank account
- Through BPI Express Online – Enroll your BPITrade bank account in your BPI online banking account and make fund transfers via the internet anytime
- Through ExpressPhone or ATM – Enroll your BPITrade bank account to BPI ExpressPhone and ATM in order to use these facilities to make fund transfers
- Wire or Telegraphic Transfer – If you’re outside the Philippines, you can still fund your account by sending a money transfer via wire to your account (Swift Code for BPI: BOPIPHMM)
8. Once your BPITrade account is funded, you can now start trading stocks online!
What is the minimum deposit needed to open a BPITrade account?
There is no minimum amount needed to open a BPITrade account. Take note, though, that if there is no deposit balance in the BPITrade bank account, it is not possible for you to purchase stocks. Also, BPI requires that you maintain a monthly Average Daily Balance (ADB) of P500.00 so that your account won’t be charged a service fee of P200.00 per month.
How to withdraw funds from BPITrade account?
1. Login to your BPITrade account.
2. On the left-hand sidebar menu, click “Services” and go to “Withdrawal Request.”
3. Fill out the withdrawal request form. Make sure the amount (in figures) you are withdrawing matches the amount (in words) on the form.
4. Your withdrawn funds will then be transferred to your designated BPI settlement account after one banking day.
30 thoughts on “How to open a BPITrade account”
Ano to makakabuy and sell ka ng stocks from PSE through BPI Trade?
Yup, that’s the idea of a stockbroker. You can buy and sell PSE stocks online using BPITrade, Citisec Online and other online stockbrokers.
I’m planning on investing in stock market. Ang problema wala ako kilalang stockbroker. But if this BPI trade is a virtual stockbroker, will I be able to do it alone?
And can anyone invest in stocks even you’re not a college grad?
When you use an online stockbroker, you do stock trading on your own. You buy and sell your own stocks without the need for a live person to do it for you. Of course, anyone can trade stocks regardless of educational attainment — as long as you know what you are doing and you are aware of the risks you are taking.
it takes ages for them to approve the application lalo na kung nasa overseas ka,,, damn snail mail,,,
Hi Arnel, just a follow-up on Danny’s query..so how does it work if you buy stocks through BPI Trade?
If you buy stocks from BPITrade for example, you buy meralco stocks of 100 shares, do you get a certificate that you own 100 shares? How does that work? and how do you get the dividends from your stocks?
Just want to know kung ilang araw ung process?
Lead time between the submission of documents and the activation of BPITrade account is usually 1-2 weeks. I added that just now in the post above.
I don’t recommend bpitrade as your stockbroker…because of very very poor customer service and very very boring website design. Select instead citisec online or first metrosec…
i am getting just that. i followed all instructions and went to the bank the next day, only to have asked to call someone else; i did and was asked to return to the bank! …only to have asked again that i need to verify with the one i’ve talked to.
spent all afternoon coming back and forth! wala naman na accomplish!
I have an existing BPItrade account, can I open another (a second) BPItrade account?
i want to open bpitrade account, can i open even my existing account in bpi is bpi easy savers account?? not a bpidirect account.
I want to try BPItrade but I don’t know how to do stock trading. I don’t know how I will be able to earn from it. Is there anyone who can help on this?
How do you link the bpi trade account in your bpiexpressonline?
This will automatically appear on your bpiexpressonline list of accounts once you sign-up
Hindi po sya automatic na nasa expressonline. di ko rin makita bpitrade account number ko sa website nila. tsk.
dyiez10, nakita mo na po ba ang BPI Trade account number mo sa website? Same issue din ang sa akin. Salamat
Mark25, namail ako s BPI at sumagot sila na kailangan tumawag sa hotline nila for verification. yun, binigay n nila acccount number ko via phone call.
“This will automatically appear on your bpiexpressonline list of accounts once you sign-up.”
– Not true. You have to enroll it as an additional account. It’s just a few clicks and will be visible online the next 3 days as BPI Direct.
nakapag register na ako sa bpi trade online..pero nag fill up ako dito sa bahay at wala akong printer dito..pwede bang i save muna sa flash drive at pa print nalang sa labas?hindi ko po kas mahanap kung pwede i save muna sa flash drive eh..please help me..tnx
Withdrawal of funds is not the same, since they changed their trading platform.
Candida albicans are usually living with us, on our skin and even inside our bodies.
An affirmative means she’s received the hots for you.
Others are perceptible whilst others are not.
Thanks for another magnificent post. The place else may just anyone get that type of information in such a perfect approach of writing?
I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the search for such information.
Thanks to the Wonderful Contest. Would enjoy to win!!
Sometimes it gets out of cab fare orlando the confines of their resort.
Tring is a small city positioned in Hertfordshire, England.
hi,ano po yung best online broker pra sa amin mga working student?
I recommend opening an account at CITISECOnline. Please attend their free seminar for new investors. I suggest also to read My Maid Invested in the Stock Market and why you too by Bo Sanchez.
hi!!! happy new year to one everyone!!! i am a new comer in this line of business i got no idea at all re.. stock trading and etc…. but i wanted to invest some of my fund in the stock market…but as a new comer i just want to invest only a minimal amount or even lower than the minimal while im stdying the mechs and the flow of trading. yes im aware of the risk that is why i have to play with a minimal amount only, does anybody can give me a sort of starting guidelines or advices re.. this matter? i am already enrolled in the bpi express online…….
Ask ko lang ho. Kelangan lagyan ang account ng P500 monthly ho ba yun o kelangan lang mag maintain ng P500 pra gaya sa, atm lang. Kc kung P500 monthly. Iba pa yung pera na tinitrade mo. Tpos d din sya deposit. Eh para lang daw di ma charge ng P200. Eh ano mangyayari u sa P500 na finaxfund ko. Pwede ko din ba, i trade yun. P500 daw monthly i maintain to avoid service charge daw. Aak lang.