Are OFWs required to pay Income Tax in the Philippines?

Filipinos working abroad, also known as Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW), do not lose their basic rights as citizens of the Philippines despite working and being physically present in another country.

OFWs retain, among others their right to vote, the right to be protected by the State, and the right to freely enter and exit the Philippines.

However, with these rights come the obligations and responsibilities associated with being Filipino. And one of these is the obligation to pay taxes to the Philippine government.

The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) reiterated the tax treatment of income earnings and money remittances of OFWs in Revenue Regulation No. 1-2011 and amended in part by Revenue Regulation No. 11-2012.

So are OFWs required to pay income taxes? Let’s see.

Definition of an “OFW”

First, let’s define who an OFW is. As per the BIR, an OFW is a “Filipino citizen employed outside the Philippines and is physically present in that country or territory in order to perform work”. OFW wages and salaries are paid by an employer based abroad and is not borne by any entity or employer in the Philippines.

To be officially recognized as an OFW, the Filipino must be duly registered with the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration (POEA) as an OFW.

Are OFW salaries tax-exempt?

Philippine taxation laws require all Filipinos to be taxed based on the taxable income derived within and outside the Philippines. That means, regardless of source and its location, all incomes earned by citizens of the Philippines are taxable.

However, as reiterated in BIR’s Revenue Memorandum No. 1-2011, the wage or income of an OFW ” arising out of his overseas employment is exempt from income tax.”

Since OFW salaries are already taxed in the country they are working, the Philippines exempts this taxable income through the virtue of Tax Reciprocity.

With the tax reciprocity rule, Filipinos working abroad are exempt from paying income taxes in the Philippines, in the same way that foreigners working in the Philippines are taxed here for incomes sourced within the Philippines and are also not required anymore to pay income taxes to their home country.

But OFW earnings from the Philippines are taxed

However, according to the BIR, income earnings of OFWs from business activities or properties within the Philippines are still subject to Philippine income tax.

That means even if OFWs are abroad, as long as they receive income from sources within the Philippines, these incomes must be reported to the BIR and OFWs must pay appropriate taxes.

The tax rates for incomes received within the Philippines are as follows.

Tax rates on OFW incomes from the Philippines

  • For regular income received in the Philippines, the tax rate is 5-32% depending on the Philippine income tax table
  • On interest income from any bank deposit and yield or any monetary benefit from deposit substitutes and from trust funds and similar arrangements: 20% final tax
  • On interest income from long-term deposits or investment in the form of savings, common or individual trust funds, deposit substitutes, investment management accounts, and other investments, if terminated or pre-terminated by the holder before the 5th year: 5% / 12% / 20% final tax
  • On royalties received on books, as well as literary works and musical composition: 10% final tax
  • On any other royalties: 20% final tax
  • On prizes and winnings amounting to P10,000 or less (except Philippine Charity Sweepstakes and Lotto winnings): Regular income tax rate of 5 to 32%
  • On all other prizes and winnings (except Philippine Charity Sweepstakes and Lotto winnings): 20% final tax
  • On cash or property dividends: 10% final tax
  • On capital gains from the sale, exchange, or other disposition of real property in the Philippines classified as capital asset, based on gross selling price or current fair market value, whichever is higher: 6% final tax

Tax exemptions for OFWs

In addition to the tax exemption on salaries received from sources outside the Philippines, OFWs are also entitled to a tax exemption on the travel tax, airport fee, and documentary stamp taxes (DST).

The BIR, however, recently required banks and non-bank remittance companies to submit to their office a quarterly summary of OFW remittances. This report includes the name of the OFW sender, name of recipient in the Philippines, the amount of remittance, and the proof of entitlement to DST exemption. This is supposedly to ensure that only legitimate OFWs are receiving the exemption privilege on paying the DST.

Documentary proof for DST tax exemption

In order to avail of the DST exemption, senders or recipients of the remittance must show proof that they are entitled to the exemption.

Among the documents that may be shown to banks or remittance companies are:

  • the OFW’s Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC); or
  • valid membership certificate from the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA); or
  • electronic receipt (e-receipt) issued by the POEA

Banks and remittance companies have been reminded by the BIR to strictly implement the presentation of required documentary proof before allowing OFWs and their recipients to avail of the tax exemption on the DST.

Thus if you are an OFW sending remittance or a recipient of an OFW remittance, make sure that you prepare any of those documents prior to your remittance transaction in order to avail of the exemption from the payment of documentary stamp taxes (DST).

See also:

About the Author

PSEi support seen at 6,200 and 6,000 amid weaker Peso

In a not-so-surprising move, the U.S. Federal Reserve (Fed) yesterday raised interest rates by 75 basis points (bps) or 0.75% in a bid to tame rising inflation in the United States. This was the third consecutive 0.75% rate hike by the Fed, which brings the federal funds rate, the central bank’s benchmark interest rate, to ... Read more

Official SWIFT Code of BDO, BPI, Metrobank, Philippine banks

When sending cash remittances or wire transfer to a bank account in the Philippines (such as BDO, BPI, Metrobank, Landbank, DBP, etc.), you’ll surely need the SWIFT Code of the bank. Look no further because you can find all the SWIFT Codes you need in this list! Make sure you’re using the right bank code ... Read more

How to Waive your Credit Card Annual Fee (BDO, BPI, Metrobank, RCBC, Citibank, UnionBank)

Without a doubt, one of the most annoying fees that credit cardholders have to pay is the annual fee. Majority of cardholders are familiar with this fee and majority of us likely pay this grudgingly year after year after year. In the case of my credit card with BPI (Bank of the Philippine Islands), I’m ... Read more

Why Filipinos do not become business owners or entrepreneurs

For a majority of Filipinos, entrepreneurship does not seem to be a typical, expected path. This is not surprising, considering that in school, students are primarily taught to become employees after graduation. Students train for years to become staff workers, reporting to a supervisor, and just waiting to receive their wages or salaries every month. ... Read more

My experience investing in Mutual Funds in the Philippines

I started investing in mutual funds when I was 22 years old. As an Overseas Filipino Worker (OFW) then, I was fortunate to be able to save some money at that young age because of my work abroad. One time while I was on vacation in the Philippines, I saw a large billboard in EDSA ... Read more

Income Tax Tables in the Philippines (2022)

The Philippines’ new tax reform bill, known as TRAIN or Tax Reform for Acceleration and Inclusion, was signed into law on December 19, 2017 and its implementation began on January 1, 2018. What are the new income tax rates under the TRAIN law? How will TRAIN affect income taxes of individuals and corporations? How is the ... Read more

PSE Stocks Performance under each Philippine President (1987-2021)

Did you know that Philippine stocks were able to achieve an astounding growth of 800% in a span of 30 years? From 1987 until 2018, the Philippine Stock Exchange index (PSEi) rose from 1,000 points to a peak of 9,000 points — generating a return of 800% over 30 years. (The PSEi is an index ... Read more

SSL 2022: Salary Increases for Teachers, Nurses, Gov’t Employees

Good news to all government employees! There’s a new round of salary increases beginning January 1, 2022! Millions of employees of the Philippine government — including public school teachers, nurses and staff of government hospitals, and workers in local and national government agencies, etc. — will be getting an automatic salary adjustment this 2022 under ... Read more

PSE Trading Hours in 2022: What time open, when closed?

Before you take the plunge into stock trading and investing, make sure you understand what stocks are and how the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE) operates. Unlike other investments that are relatively safe, stock trading is risky and loss of money is a possibility. So before you deep dive into the exciting world of stock trading, ... Read more

Price Floor and Price Ceiling of PSE Stocks

Trading bands in the PSE come in two forms: Price Ceiling, or the upper price limit, and Price Floor, or the lower price limit.

13 thoughts on “Are OFWs required to pay Income Tax in the Philippines?”

  1. I used to be an OFW. My problem is local Employers will still ask you to submit ITR for the previous years that you were an OFW. So in this case, what is the right thing to do? Are OFWs still required to file for an ITR?

    • Hello Po,
      Isang OFW, May makukuha po ba akong pera sa pilipinaa from the tax i paid in Japan and pension for working a year.
      Salamat po sa may sagot sa tanong ko.

  2. I am a former OFW until Sept 2011 I finished my contract…I did not employ nor work now here in PHP cause of my illness…do I need to file ITR? My husband is also an OFW…should I file separately? please advise…thanks..

    • Is that good or bad? I know in the Philippines, your Philippine employer files the income/witholding tax which is deducted from your salary and bonuses. You never have to file it yourself unless you have a business of your own and getting income from other sources. If you are a professional working in the US and you have pemanent residency, I don’t think you need documents stated above as proof. I think you just need to prove that you are a permanent resident of the US so you don’t have to pay DST to the Philippine government.

  3. Hi po! My husband worked for a private company and he claimed all additional tax exemptions for our children. He has since left the country to work overseas. My questions would be: as a working mother, can I claim the additional tax exemptions for the children? Which employer should sign the waiver: his previous employer or his overseas employer?

  4. If an OFW in Dubai wins a Lotto in Dubai (for example 100,000 UAE Dirhams), Does he need to pay tax to the BIR? If yes, how much tax does he need to pay?

  5. What are the rules of taxation if an OFW obtains legitimate additional income from a duly registered business abroad where he works as an OFW ?. For example, grocery business etc.

  6. Am in need Applicants to work as Caregiver,Driver,House U.S.A send your CV/RESUME to write you back.ASAP Urgently roberthandersonhall500 (at)gmail dot com

  7. Hi. Im an OFW here in Dubai as I resigned my job in DENR-RO1 a year ago now, do i need to pay for my ITR? and how? Please email me. Thanks.

  8. Hi,

    I have a investor visa in UAE, is there a tax to pay if i return back or if i want to go for a vacation in the philippines?


Leave a Comment