Manny V. Pangilinan (MVP) is on a buying spree.
Through his holding firm Metro Pacific Investments Corp. (MPI), MVP acquired the following:
- telecommunication company PLDT in 1988;
- water concessionaire Maynilad in 2006;
- the Manila North Tollways in 2008;
- the Philippines’ largest mining company Philex in 2009
- power distribution company Meralco in 2009;
- hospital Makati Medical Center in 2009;
- broadcast network ABC5 (now TV5) also in 2009
Now it appears that MVP wants to add in this portfolio another company that is significant to most Filipinos. Rumor has it that he is already in talks to buy the country’s flag carrier, Philippine Airlines or PAL.