Last year, we posted a list of the Top 10 Banks in the Philippines, based on total assets and deposits at year-end 2008. We now bring you the list of the Largest Banks in the Philippines, in terms of assets, deposits, and net income, as of year-end 2009.
The list only includes banks headquartered in the Philippines, meaning other banks based in another country but with local operations are not analyzed. Also, since the basis of the financial figures are the financial statements submitted to the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE), only publicly-listed banks are mentioned. Government- and privately-owned banks whose financial statements are not available to the public are excluded in the list.
Table: Largest Banks in the Philippines (2009)
in Philippine Peso
Banco de Oro (BDO) remains as the country’s largest bank in terms of Total Assets (P862.049 billion) and Total Deposits (P694.678 billion). It is trailed by (2) Metrobank; (3) BPI; (4) RCBC; and (5) PNB.
In terms of Net Income, however, the Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) leads the pack with an P8.6 billion net income for the year 2009. It is trailed by (2) Metrobank; (3) BDO; (4) Unionbank; and (5) Chinabank.
The top 10 local banks in terms of Assets, Deposits and Net Income are shown below.
Top 10 Philippine Banks, in terms of Total Assets (2009)
- Banco de Oro (BDO) Unibank – P862.049 billion
- Metrobank (MBT) – P854.307 billion
- Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) – P724.420 billion
- Rizal Commercial Banking Corp (RCBC) – P288.516 billion
- Philippine National Bank (PNB) – P283.300 billion
- UnionBank of the Philippines (UBP) – P244.361 billion
- China Banking Corp. – ChinaBank (CHIB) – P234.036 billion
- Security Bank (SECB) – P146.250 billion
- Philippine Savings Bank – PSBank (PSB) – P93.088 billion
- Philippine Trust Company – PhilTrust Bank (PTC) – P85.696 billion
Top 10 Philippine Banks, in terms of Total Deposits (2009)
- Banco de Oro (BDO) Unibank – P694.678 billion
- Metrobank (MBT) – P615.700 billion
- Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) – P579.471 billion
- Rizal Commercial Banking Corp (RCBC) – P220.278 billion
- Philippine National Bank (PNB) – P214.317 billion
- UnionBank of the Philippines (UBP) – P194.508 billion
- China Banking Corp. – ChinaBank (CHIB) – P193.290 billion
- Security Bank (SECB) – P108.525 billion
- Philippine Savings Bank – PSBank (PSB) – P77.390 billion
- Philippine Trust Company – PhilTrust Bank (PTC) – P73.913 billion
Top 10 Philippine Banks, in terms of Net Income (2009)
- Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) – P8.665 billion
- Metrobank (MBT) – P6.795 billion
- Banco de Oro (BDO) Unibank – P6.101 billion
- UnionBank of the Philippines (UBP) – P4.325 billion
- China Banking Corp. – ChinaBank (CHIB) – P4.103 billion
- Rizal Commercial Banking Corp (RCBC) – P3.328 billion
- Security Bank (SECB) – P3.062 billion
- Philippine National Bank (PNB) – P2.200 billion
- Philippine Trust Company – PhilTrust Bank (PTC) – P1.261 billion
- Philippine Savings Bank – PSBank (PSB) – P1.240 billion
Sources: Financial Statements submitted to the PSE
19 thoughts on “Largest Banks in the Philippines (2009)”
Nothing so surprising with BDO being the top bank this time. 😀
.-= Kenneth´s latest blog ..A 301 Redirect =-.
BDO is big because it backed by the SM group of companies but I admire Metrobank more. Its a classic example of strength brought about by good mgt and years of experience. This is what you call solid as an oak tree!
BPI is my favorite here. Good to know they have the largest total net income. 🙂
.-= Millionaire Acts´s latest blog ..Debit Cards vs Credit Cards- Similarities and Differences =-.
YOU’RE IN GOOD HANDS IN METROBANK. =)
I am starting to like the services of RCBC and am glad they rose to number 4. Their tellers and customer service are very friendly and patient. I have savings, checking and Bankard (RCBC Credit Card brand) with them. Unlike some banks who have the habit of looking down on people who earn less than 50K php above monthly, RCBC is very welcoming and warm.
You have a fantastic style of writing. I pray the incoming comments and thoughts are constructive as yours.
BDO is good for me but Excellent po ang BPI sa akin….nice tellers ang BPI.Nice location.very responsive towards clients…BPI has a lot of partner like philam life,ayala group of companies,globe,jollibee etc. hustle free pa kasi sa computer nalang ako mag bayad nang bills ko.mag transfer ng funds ko.mag inquire ng balance pwede sa internet.at ito pa ang nakakabilib sa BPI…walamg bayad lahat ng transaction nila,mag deposit mag withdraw at SBA payments kahit saan pang branches.naku talagang walang bayad.subukan mo kaya sa BDO, metrobank at ibang bangko mag deposit tapos ang account mo ay nasa ibang branch naku tumatagingting na 50 to 100 ang charges nila.good thing of BPI which other bank cannot surpass
anong 50 ! 100 pesos nga yong charge nila nung nag w.draw ako, dhil sa branch dw ako nag w.draw.kung ok ang BPI dun nlang ako mag open ulit ng account.
For me BPI.the strongest and stable bank.kasi the oldest and the first bank in the philippine history never sila natinag throughout many crisis.ok lang kahit top 3 lang sa largest bank.kasi top 1 naman sa income.Para sa akin income naman talaga binabasihan sa negosyo diba.?
For me total debt to total asset ratio is still the best. Ano naman kung malaki ang assets nila pero halos utang naman? Ok din net income.
plus the fact na mas ok customer service and online banking nila unlike BDO.
naalala nyo paba? kung anong bangko yung nadalit sa controversy ng Jose Pidal accounts.kasi ibinuyang yang nila ang secrecy ng depositor’s account which is confidential po yan.ano pang bangko yun?
equitable pci yata?
Bakit walang ranking by net worth or by debt to asset ratio? Malay mo ang laki ng assets nila pero puro utang naman. Diba?
therefore,the banco de oro has a good flow in the number of total assets….the people around bdo are very good because they are able to lessen their liabilities instead,the assets.
metro bank pa rin… as you can see no.2 cia sa lahat ng categories… meaning stable ang assets, diposits at net income nya.
Hi,pls want to ask if there is any an individual for java,if there isn’t really,pls when will there be
thanks for sharing source files. many thanks
Gsto ko sana mg open ng bank account. Kaso small time lng ako. . Above mininum lng sahod q.. help me nmn kung saan magandang bank.. yung aasikasuhin ang katulad kong small time.. salamat.. respect.