Top 10 Best and Worst PSE index stocks (2011)
December 29, 2011
The year 2011 gave stock investors and stock traders a mix of highs and lows. The Philippine Stock Exchange index (PSEi), for one, booked a modest year-on-year gain of only 4.07% for the entire year 2011. This was in stark contrast with the PSEi’s 1-year return of 37.60% in 2010 and 63.00% in 2009.
But then again, this slight uptick seems to hide the tumultuous fluctuations in stock prices that occurred in the past year. Today, the last trading day of the year, the PSEi closed at 4,371.96. Compare this with the PSEi’s lowest level of the year of 3,705.18 recorded on February 28, 2011 and its all-time high level of 4,563.65 registered on August 2, 2011.
The same whirlwind of prices was seen in several individual stocks traded on the local bourse. We have summarized below the best- and worst-performing stocks comprising the PSE index, in terms of 1-year gain (or loss) in 2011.
Top 10 PSEi Stocks with Highest Returns in 2011
- Universal Robina Corp. (URC) : +36.77%
- Globe Telecom (GLO) : + 35.00%
- Philex Mining Corp. (PX) : +32.30%
- JG Summit Holdings (JGS) : +23.21%
- Semirara Mining Corp. (SCC) : 20.00%
- International Container Terminal Services Inc. (ICT) : +17.56%
- First Gen Corp. (FGEN) : +17.41%
- SM Prime Holdings (SMPH) : +15.99%
- DMCI Holdings Inc. (DMC) : +15.28%
- Belle Corp. (BEL) : +10.00%
Top 10 PSEi Stocks with Lowest Returns in 2011
- Cebu Air Inc. (CEB) : -42.68%
- Megaworld Corp. (MEG) : -32.26%
- Robinsons Land Corp. (RLC) : -29.94%
- San Miguel Corp. (SMC) : -28.27%
- SM Development Corp. (SMDC) : -24.44%
- Ayala Corp. (AC) : -22.34%
- Alliance Global Inc. (AGI) : -18.72%
- Metro Pacific Inc. (MPI) : -7.97%
- Ayala Land Inc. (ALI) : -7.29%
- Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) : -6.86%
Gokongwei-owned companies Universal Robina Corp. (URC) and holding firm JG Summit Corp. (JGS) were two of the best-performing stocks in the PSE index, registering gains of 36.77% and 23.21% respectively. At the same time, however, these were negated by the dismal performance of two other Gokongwei-controlled firms: Cebu Pacific operator Cebu Pacific (CEB) shedding 42.68% in value and real estate company Robinsons Land Corp. (RLC) losing 29.94% in 2011.
Companies under the Ayala Group, however, mostly dropped this year. The clan’s holding firm, Ayala Corporation (AC) was down 22.34% in 2011 while two other Ayala companies also declined in value: Ayala Land (ALI) lost 7.29% and Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) lost 6.86%.
An analysis of which industries performed well (or worse) will be in our succeeding article, together with a listing of the stocks that are not part of the PSE index that registered the highest gains or the largest losses in price.
Just a preview: Lepanto Consolidated Mining Company (LC)‘s stock price rose an amazing 241.30% in 2011 and yet is still not the highest-gainer among all Philippine stocks. Watch out for this in our next article next week.
For now, here is the overall performance of the PSEi stocks with their gains and losses in 2011.
Table: Stock Prices and Returns of PSE index stocks in 2011
|Company Name||Stock Code||Dec. 27, 2010 Price||Dec. 28, 2011 Price||1-Year Return|
|1||ABOITIZ EQUITY VENTURES||AEV||37.10||40.00||7.82%|
|5||AYALA LAND INC||ALI||16.46||15.26||-7.29%|
|6||BANK OF THE PHILIPPINE ISLANDS||BPI||59.00||54.95||-6.86%|
|7||BANCO DE ORO BDO||BDO||58.50||58.50||0.00%|
|9||CEBU AIR INC||CEB||113.40||65.00||-42.68%|
|11||ENERGY DEVELOPMENT CORP||EDC||5.87||6.22||5.96%|
|12||FIRST GEN CORP||FGEN||12.18||14.30||17.41%|
|14||INTL CONTAINER TERMINAL||ICT||45.00||52.90||17.56%|
|15||JG SUMMIT HOLDINGS||JGS||19.60||24.15||23.21%|
|16||JOLLIBEE FOODS CORP||JFC||88.90||88.00||-1.01%|
|17||MANILA ELECTRIC CO.||MER||228.00||245.00||7.46%|
|20||METROBANK & TRUST CO.||MBT||72.00||67.55||-6.18%|
|21||METRO PACIFIC INC.||MPI||3.89||3.58||-7.97%|
|22||PHILEX MINING CORP||PX||16.10||21.30||32.30%|
|23||PHILIPPINE LONG DISTANCE TEL.||TEL||2,554.00||2,518.00||-1.41%|
|25||SAN MIGUEL CORP||SMC||163.80||117.50||-28.27%|
|26||SEMIRARA MINING CORP||SCC||185.00||222.00||20.00%|
|27||SM DEVELOPMENT CORP||SMDC||9.00||6.80||-24.44%|
|29||SM PRIME HOLDINGS||SMPH||11.38||13.20||15.99%|
|30||UNIVERSAL ROBINA CORP||URC||34.95||47.80||36.77%|
- Best and Worst Philippine Stocks in 2011 (to be posted next week)
- Catholic Church sold Philex shares to Manny Pangilinan?
- Catholic Church has billions invested in BPI, Philex, San Miguel
- New PSEi composition, as of September 2011
- How to trade stocks in the Philippines
Click for more interesting, useful and related posts:
- top 10 psei stocks with highest returns in 2012
- top 10 psei with lowest return in 2011
- pse top banks performance
- Psei index price in 2008
- top 10 ayala stocks philippines
- AGI PSE stock price last 2005
- ayala corporation ipo price
- pse price index dec 29 2011
- psei top performing stocks today