PMT Forum
How do you want to make money today?

PORK BARREL in the Philippines: Scrap or Retain?

kobabear · 166 · 29936

Poll

WITH THE WIDE SPREAD ABUSE OF THE PORK BARREL, DO YOU THINK IT'S TIME TO SCRAP IT?

YES
23 (92%)
NO
2 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

yllor

• PMT Idol 1000
Reply #15 on: Aug 01, 2013, 06:58 PM
there should be a proper audit and balance check in the system so that funds will be implemented properly and returned to people the taxes paid by each and everyone.

kobabear

• Forum Master 400
Reply #16 on: Aug 03, 2013, 12:49 PM
there should be a proper audit and balance check in the system so that funds will be implemented properly and returned to people the taxes paid by each and everyone.

Yllor, I hope this will be the much needed audit we are all clamoring for: Read this:

Lawmakers must submit SALNs to BIR

BIR Commissioner Kim Henares was earlier quoted as saying that some congressmen and senators are hiding their SALNs.

“If Commissioner Kim has the list, then these lawmakers should be aware that they can and should make their SALNs available,” deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte said in a press briefing.
Henares said her office had made several requests for lawmakers to submit their SALNs, “but up to now they were not releasing them.”

Although the BIR’s role in the pork barrel scam probe is focused on the finances of Janet Lim-Napoles, the alleged leader of a syndicate using a network of bogus non-government organizations (NGOs) to access pork barrel funds of lawmakers, Henares said the BIR must investigate everything, including the SALNs of politicians...

http://www.philstar.com/headlines/2013/08/03/1045301/lawmakers-must-submit-salns-bir

Usman

• Forum Master 300
Reply #17 on: Aug 03, 2013, 03:21 PM
It actually depends on our politicians, particularly Senators and Congressmen.

If they use it for the benefit of the people, it is a boon but if otherwise especially if it is being used to enrich themselves then it's a bane.

If I were to judge, I would rather that Senators and Congressmen focus on making laws because what happens is that they're not doing any laws at all except dipping their hands on government coffers lalo na ngayon we learn of scams left and right yet the government wants its citizens to pay correct taxes which isn't fair at all because the money which we worked hard to gain will either go to corrupt politicians' pockets only or being doled out by the government to people who don't pay taxes at all!

kobabear

• Forum Master 400
Reply #18 on: Aug 03, 2013, 05:32 PM
The pork barrel allocation and utilization is probably the worst scam of our government. In spite of this, it still continues to rule our political landscape. The goal is noble as most of our laws but the implementation is criminal. The Philippines has some of the best laws in the world but we also boasts some of the most corrupt people on earth. The PDAF had given us good infrastructures, country side projects and social projects but at the same time it made a lot of undeserving millionaires. Not only congressmen and senators but contractors, businessmen, cronies, friends and family members. Those who abuse this fund are so entrenched in the society that it became cancerous. The cons seem to outweigh the pros but I hope our statesmen (rare breed here) should craft amendments that will give us the best use of the PDAF. I know of various proposals but there must be a political will from the President down to make this happen. Paging P-noy, Mr Drilon and all of us.

lowije_dapogs

• Forum Expert 500
Reply #19 on: Aug 03, 2013, 06:01 PM
mahirap maabolish ang pork barrel yan ang dahilan bakit nagkkandarapa mga pulitik0 sa pagtakb0 sa elksy0n. pg yan inalis, wala ng tatakb0... mliban si pacquia0 f0r presdnt. :p

http://momandpopmoments.com/2013/07/31/janet-napoles-pork-barrel-scam-theft-from-a-nation/

basahin nyo po yung comments sa baba ng ^article na yan, nakakamangha mga nireveal nung isang "anonymous" poster. ang daming pangalan at detalye na binanggit, sana mapick up ng investigative reporters like rappler and pcij..

ric_TNT

• PMT Idol 1000
Reply #20 on: Aug 08, 2013, 05:16 AM
Hear ye !   Hear ye !    :secret: :cry: :ohmy: :sorry:

While the poor Filipino people are languishing in poverty, most (with due respect to a few) in the government  :evil: are enjoying their stashed loots. Have a look at those you have elected to govern yourselves.

Keep reading and updated on this blog folks.

http://dulzspeaks.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/anonymous-speaks-pork-barrel-scam.html

SirZap

• Forum Champion 800
Reply #21 on: Aug 08, 2013, 07:29 AM
minsan naiisip ko sana tinuloy ko na yung foundation ko. sana naka-limousine na ako

AMARANTH

• PMT Jedi 2500
Reply #22 on: Aug 08, 2013, 01:12 PM
Here is something I chance upon regarding this topic, I posted only a part bec its quite long,  It also says that the bombing in Cagayan de oro (CDO) is a diversionary tactic to divert away the spotlight on the pork barrel scam.  Very interesting read.

http://dulzspeaks.blogspot.com/2013/08/anonymous-speaks-pork-barrel-scam.html

Anonymous says:

AUGUST 1, 2013 AT 6:43 PM

Janet Lim Napoles has strong ties before with the late Emilia Boncodin, DBM Secretary. Emilia is the one that keep Janet in the loop whenever a budget or SARO is approved and to which senator or congressman.

Gringo Honasan is a dear friend of Janet’s husband, Jimmy Napoles. I was surprised when I read somewhere online when Honasan was interviewed and he said that he doesnt know the Napoles family.

During the coup in Cory’s time, Jimmy napoles was driving a tank on the way to camp crame when he’s tank was hit by a mortar.Jimmy is operating the .50 caliber machine gun and the soldier driving the tank died during the blast. Jimmy survived and was jailed along with Honasan. If you can get clear photos of Jimmy Napoles online, you will see that part of his face and his arms show burn marks.

Their wealth started to build up during the late 90′s when they engaged themselves with mayors based in zamboanga to use them as a front for a Foundation that will implement projects or deliver farm materials. With connections at COA, they were able to arrange “completed projects” without delivering anything. They established JLN group of companies sometime in 2000 and they moved to their new office from AFPOVAI to Discovery Suites on the 25th floor.

Soon enough, they were able to develop deep connections with more legislators in congress and numerous senators. What JLN Group Of Companies do and their sub-companie, Jo-Chris Trading (named after their eldest child, Jo-Christine “Neneng” Napoles) – they use their foundations as the implementing agency for the funds of congressmen or senators. You see, congressmen and senators have budget, PDAF or the “pork barrel”, but these politicians do not have direct access to their funds and they can never touch it. So what they do is the politicians will create a project (common one is “fertilizer distribution” to farmers) and will ask DBM to set the budget. Then, there will be a public bidding to be held by DAR. The outcome of the bidding is already fixed and it’s Napoles foundation wins. The fund or SARO will be released through Janet’s foundation and the congressmen/senators will ask 70% of the whole amount. So if the project is 10M, Janet will give 70% of that. Usually Janet’s nephew, John Francisco Lim is the courier of the money, they will meet at Podium or at a parking lot. The money are stored in plastic bags or paper bags.

So, whatever is left from the budget, 30% goes to Janet. They usually cash-in the cheque they get from DBM at Landbank in Greenhills and the manager there is part of Janet’s payroll. Janet also need to pay the inspectors from COA and whoever is involved in DAR.

This is their workflow.This is what they do for more than a decade. This is how the senators and congressmen make money. This is why theses politicians have so much and working class filipinos almost have nothing. This is not only Janet’s fault. The greediness of the senators and congressmen are the driving point that keeps this system operating. It is also amazing that if Janet’s family and her company goes into trial, the people who will try them – judges, senators, congressmen, are also part of this. I fear for the life of Benhur and Merlina as whistleblowers. Soon enough they will die. The people of the philippines should protect them. NBI or the witness protection program cannot do anything about it. Because they are keeping the whistleblowers alive for their own use only. Once Janet give payments to the NBI and once Revilla, Honasan, Arroyo, Pichay, Ducut, Pineda, Lim, Estrada, Soto, Lapid, and almost all the congressmen who were in post for the past decade, step in – there’s nothing benhur or merlina can do. They are as good as dead by now.

Please post this on your social media and share it to the world. It is time to stop this madness and remove the pork barrel and protect benhur and merlina.

Anonymous says:

AUGUST 1, 2013 AT 8:06 PM

No, i will never talk to philippine media. local media is rubbish. we can ask noli de castro about that. and i am very sure that he too will say, “i havent heard janet napoles or met her before…” Of course, why would he tell the world that he knows janet after he earned hundrer millions of pesos through her company? We can also ask noli who lives in his villa in tagaytay highlands. Oh, i forgot, i think it’s one of his mistresses.

nevertheless, the napoles has been moving their money the past few weeks so most of their money are not in the country anymore. the people need to ask the female manager at metrobank binondo, she’s related to janet napoles brother, ronald “bullet” francisco lim. “Bullet” is also one of the incorporator’s of janet’s countless foundations. the people of the philippines should also ask the manager at landbank greenhills. Maglanque holds a post before at DOTC, and the Napoles’ made a lot of money by providing countless transactions through DOTC using numerous congressmen and senators between 2002 – 2011. Zenaida Ducut, previous congresswoman in one of the provinces in Pampangga made a killing through Janet’s company. They also have strong ties with the Ampatuans in the south and yes, they also benefited from Janet’s company. Previous PNP chiefs during the Arroyo administration also used JLN Corporation as the foundation to supply communication radios initially valued at Php5,000 only to be listed in the receipt given to COA valued at Php65,000 each.

Let’s stop and reflect, if the local media publishes these facts, do you think that the current government CAN do something? NO. even if noynoy wants to punish Janet and even if he’s the president of the country, he can only do as much because our constitution does not allow the president to tackle these crimes. because that is not included in his job description. It’s a pity that people accuse the president of doing nothing. Yes, he cannot do anything about it because our law doesnt allow him too. You want something to be done with this issue? If noynoy declares martial law and will have complete authority over these issues, yes, he can hang all the senators and congressmen. But will noynoy declare martial law? No. not because the people of the country doesnt want to – its because noynoy wont bring back the years that caused his father’s death.

Anonymous says:

AUGUST 1, 2013 AT 10:11 PM

I saw an interview of janet, jimmy and two of their children, jo-christine and his younger brother. The interview was conducted by Korina Sanchez. I was amazed how Korina played on the set and in a very sublime manner, projected the Napoles family as a victim.

Let me explain.

Korina is married to Mar Roxas. Mar is from Iloilo and he has a cousin, Johnny Roxas. Johnny stands 6’2, fair, brown hair and brown eyes. Johnny is a good looking male and a mestizo. Johnny used to work at JLN Corp. and he used his connections through Mar when he was still “Mr. Palengke.” Johnny earned significant amount of money by closing deals and getting the SARO of some congressmen and mayors and governors with the help of Mar. But Johnny had a fallout with Janet when some some cash commissions were not equally divided to him. He was also hoping to have a Mercedes Benz as a incentive from one of his successful transactions from a congressman based in Samar, bur Janet failed to deliver the car to him. Johnny soon left the company upset. Nevertheless, Johnny left JLN with few million pesos richer, and Mar Roxas a few million above 10M richer. Johnny Roxas became visible again in the political arena when he joined the campaign camp of Fernando Poe Jr. He was always visible on TV appearances and newspaper photos sitting or standing beside or behind Poe. With this said, Mar Roxas has ties with Napoles and that explains the interview with Korina that appears to be biased with the Napoles’. And you now know the reason why.

Anonymous says:

AUGUST 2, 2013 AT 8:36 PM

I dont have social media presence nor in the internet. My only platform is through this blog – your blog. I don’t even know you and perhaps you will never know either. As long as i am still alive, I will post on this blog if you dont mind. Thanks for doing sharing your blog to your social media nonetheless.

This news is slowly fading away and only a couple of local media outlets are currently covering it. The Revillames and Estradas are already preparing their speeches should this issue reach the senate. Some speculations in the current congress thinks that this issue is bigger than the corruption of Gloria Arroyo itself so everything is carefully planned out for the next step. There are extreme suggestions within the congressmen involved to create mass hysteria and stimulate “terrorism” activity in the city. They are planning to set off explosives in public places soon and will blame it to the Reds (CPP-NPA) organization.

Do you think that the Ayala Mall explosion before is an “accident”? How about the recent explosion in one of Ayala’s apartments in The Fort? Has anyone of you heard the case again and its updates? None.

It doesnt make sense, does it?

The Napoles lives in Ayala Alabang. Their house is adjacent to Ping Lacson. When Lacson bought the house in Alabang, this was the time when he and Erap were throwing accusations against each other. There was a news clip before of an interview to Lacson and he consistently denies that he does not have a house in an exclusive village. The Napoles’ was laughing hard because the family was the one who recommended that house to Ping.

As you can see, a significant number of residential owners in Ayala Alabang have sits in congress, senate, supreme court, mayors and governors. The Ayala’s are not in the position to deny these individuals who belong in the government from buying properties.

Imagine that at this very moment you are reading this and all the houses with owners that have sits in the govt disappear in thin air – how many house units will be left in Ayala Alabang? Let us say that ayala alabang will be like empty plots of land like in Fairview or Rizal. That is how significant these home owners are to the Ayalas.

How about Forbes? The Napoles have properties in Forbes Park as well. Who developed Forbes Park in the 70s? The Ayalas. And the same home owners in ayala alabang can be found in forbes park. The explosions in the ayala properties were no coincidence. They used it as a platform to divert the attention of the masses so that local media will cover the explosion news instead of corruption expose’ involving key individuals from the congress and senate during those times.

Now they will do it again soon. But this time, it will be exactly similar like the MRT bombings and bus bombings like before – they will bomb the public. Once this happen, all news will be focused on the bombings and slowly the Napoles and all the congressmen and senators, and judges, and secretaries, and undersecretaries will slowly crawl in the dark, away from all of us, together with all their wealth.

Oh, havent i mentioned that Jenny has already moved her money from landbank, metrobank, bpi, banco de oro and consolidated all of their accounts to HSBC hong kong recently? Ooooppss.

AMARANTH

• PMT Jedi 2500
Reply #23 on: Aug 08, 2013, 01:41 PM
And another interesting topic about pork barrel scam and janet lim's and familys extravagant lifestyle.

http://www.rappler.com/

Napoles' daughter blogs about lavish lifestyle

http://www.rappler.com/nation/34895-napoles-daughter-blogs-lavish-lifestyle

by  Natashya Gutierrez
Posted on 07/26/2013 8:39 PM  | Updated 07/27/2013 12:01 PM

MANILA, Philippines – Jeane Napoles, 23, the younger daughter of Janet Lim-Napoles, deactivated her social media accounts shortly after her mother was named the person behind an alleged multi-billion-peso pork barrel scam.

The controversy put the young lady's lifestyle – lavish by most standards – in the spotlight.

But she neglected to remove an old personal blog from 2011, which has allowed netizens to scrutinize her extravagant lifestyle.

The scandal implicating Napoles was first reported by the Philippine Daily Inquirer on Friday, July 12. By Thursday, July 18, her daughter Jeane's Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter accounts had been deactivated.

Jeane's blog shows her inclination for designer shoes, bags, and clothes from brands like Louis Vuitton, YSL, Chanel, and Christian Louboutin.

It has pictures of her trips to Paris and Tokyo, as well as her posing with Hollywood celebrities, including Justin Timberlake, Josh Duhamel, Blake Lively, and Justin Bieber. Another post shows her and her 3 siblings attending a movie premiere, also in Hollywood.

Comments on the Internet decried the young Napoles' lifestyle and accused her of using pork barrel money obtained by her mother to sustain it.

But Jeane is not the only Napoles child to be subject to scrutiny.

Jeane's older sister Christine is seeking a congressional seat. Christine is a nominee of the party-list group OFW Family Club, which might just get enough votes for another seat in the House of Representatives, based on belated but official Commission on Elections figures.

Janet Lim-Napoles has denied all accusations and said she is willing to open her bank accounts as part of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) probe into the scam.

“My family, especially my children, have already been dragged by the false and malicious reports of one newspaper who (sic) has the habit of sensationalizing stories at the expense of truth and fairness,” Napoles said in her statement.

'So sudden'

According to one of Jeane Napoles' high school classmates who asked not to be named, Napoles, who just graduated from an American college in May, is unemployed.

Napoles lived in an apartment in the Ritz Carlton in Los Angeles during her college years, and drove a Porsche in Manila, said the source.

The source described Napoles as "nice and really generous," often buying drinks for her friends during nights out.

But the source said few who knew her were surprised when her family was implicated in the scam.

"Honestly it didn't really come as a surprise to a lot of us," the source said, adding rumors were rife it was "dirty money," since Napoles' lifestyle change "was so sudden."

"She started flaunting her lifestyle really quickly," the source added, saying it got more and more lavish after 2005.

An online video of Napoles' 21st birthday revealed more extravagance. Hosted in Hollywood, the party included a fashion show, overflowing food and drinks, and a celebratory Napoles family, including Janet, greeting her "baby girl" a happy birthday.

Jeane is Napoles' youngest daughter.

Most recent photos before Jeane closed her social media accounts showed her week-long 23rd birthday celebration in high-scale bars and clubs in Manila, and a trip to London.

In her blog, Napoles wrote a post in May 2011 that may appear ironic if her mother is proven guilty of the allegations.

"I am actually quite happy that Manny Pacquiao won his fight against Shane Mosley," she wrote. "But when you tell the public you are going to wear yellow gloves as [a] symbol to fight poverty, don’t let your wife wear 7 million [pesos] worth of yellow diamond earrings then."

-----------------------

How Janet Lim-Napoles got away

http://www.rappler.com/nation/35847-napoles-sandiganbayan-helmets

by  Aries Rufo
Posted on 08/07/2013 2:10 PM  | Updated 08/08/2013 1:06 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Janet "Jenny" Napoles learned the tricks of the trade in the military, where she hobnobbed with generals.

She started small 15 years ago, cutting a deal with the Philippine Marines for the P3.8-million purchase of 500 Kevlar helmets that the Sandiganbayan later found out to be dubious. The court in 2010 punished military officers and civilians who signed the contract.

But Napoles, who encashed the checks from the Marines, got away with it.

In 1998, using her military connections, Napoles committed to deliver 500 Kevlar helmets to the Philippine Marines in exchange for a P3.8-million contract.

She was not a signatory to the deal, however. Instead, she used her mother, brother and sister-in-law to put up dubious companies that participated in a supposed bidding for the supply of the helmets, Sandiganbayan records show.

Her husband, now retired Maj Jaime Napoles of the Marines, was initially charged for failing to investigate the existence of dubious suppliers and his failure to explain the issuance of all 14 checks to his wife. He was however eventually dropped from the case for lack of probable evidence.

Five suppliers participated in the supposed bidding, submitting similar price quotations. The contract was eventually awarded to 7 firms in 1998, only one of which was accredited by the Marines, according to court records. The rest were either non-existent or carried residential addresses.

Given the total amount of the contract — P3.8 million — it required the signature of the Armed Forces chief of staff at the time. To go around the signing threshold, according to the Ombudsman's case filed with the court, the Marines split the contract into 14 identical purchase orders each amounting to P293,763.56.

Because of the lower amount, the signing authority for the split contracts was confined to the Philippine Marine Corps (PMC) Commandant. At the time, Lt Gen Edgardo Espinosa was the PMC commandant.

Full payment, no delivery

On Jan 7, 1999, without any delivery, the Philippine Marines issued the full payment to the 7 firms for the procurement of 500 Kevlar helmets. All 14 checks were immediately encashed on the same day in Napoles’ Security Bank account in Pasong Tamo Branch, Makati, court records and testimonies showed.

Eight months after Napoles got paid, she was still unable to deliver the helmets, the same records showed. It was only in October 1999, a month after it was discovered not a single helmet had been delivered, that she sent the first batch of helmets. She delivered only 201 units out of the 500 she had committed to produce. She completed the delivery only in December 2000, more than a year later.

To make matters worse, the helmets were not made in the US, as specified by the Marines, but in Taiwan, and were of inferior quality.

The Kevlar scandal forced the filing in August 2001 of malversation charges against officers and civilian suppliers involved in the deal, including Napoles' mother, brother, sister-in-law, and no less than the commandant of the Marines at the time, Espinosa.

Nine years later, on Oct 28, 2010, the Sandiganbayan's 4th Division convicted Napoles' brother, Reynaldo Luy-Lim, and sister-in-law Anna Marie Dulguime, for falsification of public documents, along with other Marines.

Court's mercy

However, Reynaldo and Anna Marie did not spend a single minute behind bars because they pleaded for probation, telling the anti-graft court they “are not hardened criminals who are beyond redemption.”

They asked the Sandiganbayan's 4th division, headed by Justice Gregory Ong, to “give them a second chance to maintain their place in society through a process of reformation.”

Arguing they were first-time offenders, they applied for probation, which the court granted on Jan 21, 2013.

Based on Rappler's review of court records, among the civilians charged in the case aside from the Napoleses were the following:
1.Evelyn de Leon of Emboy Trading
2.Reynaldo Francisco of Rejoemex Trading
3.Magdalena Francisco of Winlim Trading
4.Mia Legacion of Vinnie Trading
5.Priscilla Somosot of Atria and Presel Trading

Like pork barrel scheme

Based on the records and interviews with sources, we found out the following:

•Similar to the pork barrel scheme, the case before the Sandiganbayan involved the ghost delivery of helmets, with Napoles as the final recipient of the money. 14 checks issued as payments to 7 supposed winning bidders were all deposited in her Security Bank account.

•Falsified documents were submitted to show proof of deliveries. It was only after the ghost deliveries were found out that Napoles delivered 500 Kevlar helmets in two tranches. Still, they were branded as substandard.

•Owners of the supposed winning firms were apparent dummies of Napoles. Still, the Ombudsman and the Sandiganbayan were apparently clueless about the ties of Napoles with the alleged civilian suppliers. The court decision made no mention of the fact that Reynaldo Francisco, Magdalena Francisco and Anna Marie Dulguime were all related to her.

•The prosecution could have missed this crucial link because the suppliers, including Napoles’ family members, used a different surname (their mother’s maiden name) and addresses which were later found to be non-existent. Husband and wife Reynaldo and Anna Marie used different addresses for purposes of serving court summons. It was only when they applied for a probation order that the couple used the same address.

We tried to get the side of the Sagayo law office which acted as counsel for Reynaldo and Magdalena Francisco and Dulguime. We were told they were not aware that Reynaldo Francisco and Reynald Lim are one and the same person.

•At the time the Kevlar helmet case broke out in 1999 , Napoles claimed she was an importer and dealer of various products such as communication and electronic devices, cameras, helmets and watercraft vehicles. However, in a recent interview with ABS-CBN's Korina Sanchez, Napoles said the family built their wealth from coal trading in China, Pakistan and Indonesia from the 1990s.

•Reynald Francisco, aka Reynaldo Lim, could have violated the conditions set in his probation only months after he was linked by the anti-graft court in April to the abduction of pork barrel whistleblower, Benhur Luy, a relative. Under the probation order, which covered a one-year period from Jan 21, 2013, Reynaldo was to “maintain a law abiding behavior at all times and avoid committing any further criminal offense.” The Court warned that “if the probationer fails to do so or is otherwise found to have committed any material representation in his application for probation, the Court shall revoke this probation order and he may be compelled to suffer the penalties imposed by the Court.” The kidnapping charges filed against Napoles and Reynaldo were however dismissed by the Department of Justice for lack of probable cause.

•A lead provided to Rappler showed that Reynaldo, who apparently now goes by the name Reynald Lim, was able to acquire properties and set up corporations in the United States. The source said Reynaldo/Reynald was able to migrate to the US “using his wife’s work sponsored immigration papers.” A separate source who attended several parties hosted by the Napoleses also swears that Reynaldo’s passport name is Reynald Lim.

Because he was convicted, he was supposed to be covered by a hold departure order (HDO). Court records do not show that Reynaldo applied for permission to leave the country. In Napoles’ case, her HDO was lifted only in November 2010, or a month after the court promulgated its ruling.

Conversion and beyond

A retired senior Marine officer told Rappler that even before the Kevlar helmet scam broke out, Napoles “was known in the Philippine Navy, being a regular fixture there.”

At first, the officer said Napoles engaged in "conversion" in the military, a longtime practice in the organization where military units and commanders impatient with the bureaucracy and in need of instant cash go to friendly suppliers who provide them money to build a battlefield hut, for example.

In exchange, the commanders issue suppliers receipts for the supposed purchase of office supplies. The suppliers then make these ghost deliveries — on paper — to formalize the transaction, ensuring they and their military counterparts get a cut.

This massive conversion scheme, initially believed to fast-track battefield requirements, soon went unchecked and was abused by commanders. Its misuse was exposed in 2003, when two sons of then military comptroller Carlos Garcia were arrested in the US for smuggling thousands of dollars. Garcia is now in jail while his co-accused — his wife and two sons — are said to be in the US.

Unlike Garcia, however, Napoles was not part of the chain of command.

She would later branch out into other big-ticket items in the Navy, said the retired officer. Whenever Napoles paid a visit, “she was always accompanied with an entourage. I think all those Navy commandants knew her.”

Thus when the Kevlar case was filed, there were enough witnesses who said she was actually behind it.

In its ruling, the anti-graft court found there was conspiracy among the accused military officers and the suppliers to falsify public documents. They were sentenced to 4-8 years in prison and a penalty of P5,000 each.

Then Marine commandant Espinosa and Napoles, however, were among those acquitted.

In clearing Napoles, the court pointed out that “she was not one of the dealer-payees in the transaction” and on this basis, “her participation as a private individual becomes remote. “

The court added that “even if she owns the bank account where the 14 checks were later deposited, this does not in itself translate to her conspiracy in the crime charged in the information absent evidence of an overt act on her part.”

Thus Napoles was never subjected to public scrutiny — until the pork barrel scam exposed by whistleblowers a few weeks ago.

The whistleblowers said Napoles stayed in the shadows while her staff, fronting for her, did the paper work and legwork for her fictitious foundations.

Will she continue to remain under the radar?

READ  also in rappler:       Napoles lawyer threatens, Rappler replies

Napoles daughter owns P80M LA property 

Pork barrel ‘queen’ parties with solons

kobabear

• Forum Master 400
Reply #24 on: Aug 08, 2013, 02:33 PM
If the most powerful man in the Philippines cannot do anything about this KABABUYAN (pun intended), then God help us.  :help:

isalimoko

Reply #25 on: Aug 08, 2013, 02:35 PM
hindi ba ang trabaho ng mga senators ay gumawa at magpasa na batas?  ang government projects dapat ang gumagawa yung mga nasa baba.  I read somewhere yung mga roles ng politicians, trabaho ng Mayor ang mga infrastructure projects (or mali ako ng naalala?)  bakit pa kailangang humawak ng pera ang mga senators, hindi naman nila role yun.  and then kung kanino at saan sila pabor, dun napupunta yung pork barrel nila.  that is unfair.  kaya yung mga probinisya na mahirap ang buhay, hanggang ngayon mahirap pa rin ang kalagayan nila.

kobabear

• Forum Master 400
Reply #26 on: Aug 08, 2013, 02:47 PM
hindi ba ang trabaho ng mga senators ay gumawa at magpasa na batas?  ang government projects dapat ang gumagawa yung mga nasa baba.  I read somewhere yung mga roles ng politicians, trabaho ng Mayor ang mga infrastructure projects (or mali ako ng naalala?)  bakit pa kailangang humawak ng pera ang mga senators, hindi naman nila role yun.  and then kung kanino at saan sila pabor, dun napupunta yung pork barrel nila.  that is unfair.  kaya yung mga probinisya na mahirap ang buhay, hanggang ngayon mahirap pa rin ang kalagayan nila.

Yung senator ay national ang coverage nila kaya mostly sa high profile project sila (kung meron man). Dapat yung congressman dahil localized yung constituent nila sa district nila. Maganda sana itong pork barrel kung di binaboy ng mga baboy sa Congreso.

AMARANTH

• PMT Jedi 2500
Reply #27 on: Aug 08, 2013, 06:52 PM
Napoles' daughter flaunts family's wealth

from a report by Anthony Taberna, ABS-CBN News

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/nation/07/29/13/napoles-daughter-flaunts-familys-wealth

07/29/2013

MANILA (UPDATED) - The Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR) is investigating the wealth of businesswoman Janet Lim Napoles, after photos of her daughter flaunting their wealth appeared on social media.

Napoles is the alleged brains behind the P10-billion pork barrel "scam."

The Instagram account of her daughter, Jeane, shows photos of the younger Napoles boasting about expensive cars she received from her parents during her birthday debut and graduation from college.

The photos also show expensive watches, jewelry, clothing, and shoes.

One Instagram photo claimed that she bought all the items at a branded bag store.

Another showed shopping sprees in other countries.

The photos were sent to ABS-CBN News by a friend of the younger Napoles, a a fashion designer and model, after the pork barrel scam hit news headlines.

Jeane Napoles' Instagram account has since been deleted, but other photos and video clips showing her lifestyle are continuing to circulate online.

One Vimeo video clip shows her 21st birthday party at Beverly Hills. The video was later made private but a copy was uploaded on YouTube.

Meanwhile, another blog claims that the younger Napoles has a clutch bag costing roughly P400,000 and 9 pairs of shoes costing P360,000 each.

It also alleged that her watches alone cost P1 million each.

ABS-CBN News showed the photos to her mother, Janet Lim Napoles, who confirmed their authenticity.

She, however, offered an explanation for them.

Napoles said her daughter's Porsche was a gift when her daughter graduated magna cum laude.

Another Porsche was a gift during her daughter's birthday, she added.

She said they also gave jewelry and expensive watches as gifts during her birthday.

Napoles denied that they own the 20 pieces of luggage at a Japan airport, but did not disown luggage that arrived in Manila.

She said they only had 5 pieces of luggage and a copier machine.

Napoles said it was their right to go shopping because they were earning money from their business ventures.

She also denied buying all of the items sold at a high-end bag shop.

Napoles insisted that their wealth is the the result of legitimate business.

"Wala po na nanggaling sa gobyerno, ni piso. Lahat pong yan ay hanapubuhay namin galing sa aming pinaghirapan," she said. "Kaming mag-asawa ay nagpapakamatay na maghanapbuhay para maibigay po namin sa aming mga anak.:

She also confirmed that they co-own a P7-million hotel near Disneyland in Los Angeles, California.

BIR chief Kim Henares said she has also recieved photos and information on the Napoles family.

She said the bureau is now looking into the family's properties.

She said there is nothing wrong in flaunting one's wealth as long as the person pays the right taxes.

She said tax evasion charges will be filed against Napoles if there is evidence to support the allegation.

"Sabi niyo mayaman kayo, kailangang ma establish kung ano yung asset. Check natin kung nagbayad ng tamang buwis. Kung talagang mayaman at nagbayad, walang problema. May problema lang kung hindi nagtutugma yung dalawa," Henares said.

Napoles, meanwhile, said they have paid the right taxes and she is ready to reveal all of their wealth if needed.

kobabear

• Forum Master 400
Reply #28 on: Aug 09, 2013, 12:43 AM
Here's a proposal to at least improve this pork barrel thing. Excerpts from Philstar..

"There is a need to reform the PFAF process. The objective is to eliminate fraud, waste and abuse. One immediate reform is to ensure greater transparency. Senators and congressmen should be required to publicly list, on their websites, the specific funding request at least 30 days before release of funds. The request should include the agency or the name of the recipient, the amount of fund allocated, and the specific purpose. This will allow legitimate NGOs and other watch groups to monitor all these pork barrel requests.

Second, all these PDAF requests should be subject to hearings. In this case I propose that the review should be conducted by the relevant executive branch. So funding for scholarships and classrooms should be reviewed by the Department of Education. Pork barrel requests having to do with medicine and other health care benefits should be done by the Department of Health. Perhaps, this will prevent another incident where Senator Sotto sent anti-dengue medicine to a town where there was no dengue outbreak.

All pork barrel benefits, including those for NGOs should be subject to competitive bidding and audit by the Commission on Audit. For example, the EMP medicine sent by Senator Sotto to cure dengue (where there was no dengue) should have been procured through competitive bidding."

http://www.philstar.com/opinion/2013/08/08/1064721/pork-any-other-name

kobabear

• Forum Master 400
Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2013, 04:57 PM
Napoles still at large, now considered a fugitive after arrest warrant

August 15, 2013 11:17am

The hunt continues for Janet Lim-Napoles, who was ordered arrested Wednesday for the "serious illegal detention" of a whistleblower in a P10-billion pork barrel scandal.

The businesswoman is still at large and the arrest warrant has yet to be served Thursday even as her lawyer, Lorna Kapunan, said she has not spoken to Napoles, nor did she know her client's whereabouts.

"In all truthfulness, we do not know where she is. I am saying to you as officer of the court if she is listening to this, we are still appealing and saying she has legal remedies under the law and we are studying her legal options," Kapunan said in a telephone interview on News to Go on Thursday.

Branch 150 of RTC-Makati issued warrants of arrest on Wednesday afternoon for Napoles, the alleged mastermind behind the kidnapping of Benhur Luy, and Napoles's brother Reynald 'Jojo' Lim.

Justice Secretary Leila De Lima said Napoles may also face charges in connection with anomalies involving the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF), or pork barrel, of several lawmakers.

"NBI has been working the whole time on an investigation of the PDAF," De Lima said in a telephone interview on News to Go on Thursday.

"Pine-prepare na namin 'yan kung anong mga kaso ang isasampa at sinu-sino ang mga sasampahan ng kaso other than Napoles," said De Lima, who said she could not confirm how many lawmakers would be facing charges, as the investigation was still ongoing.

"Ayaw pa namin magpalabas ng listahan o mag-announce ng mga pangalan na hindi pa ganun kasigurado," De Lima said.

However, De Lima said they had sufficient evidence from whistleblowers' testimonies as well as supporting documents against a number of lawmakers, who may face charges in the next few weeks.

"Baka 'yung pagsampa namin ng kaso ay by batches or piecemeal. Kasi kung hihintayin ho namin ng buo, baka matagal-tagal pa ito. Gusto na ho namin na makapagsampa kaagad ng mga ilan-ilan na kaso para mapatunayan sa publiko na sineseryoso namin itong imbestigasyon na ito na merong pinatutunguhan, na merong resulta," she said.

De Lima stressed that the warrants of arrest were effectively also hold departure orders that would prevent them from escaping to other countries through airports or ports.

"Once they are spotted in any of these ports, kailangan i-alert agad ang NBI to implement the warrant of arrest. Effectively it's an HDO," she said.

Meanwhile, Kapunan said the warrants of arrest came as a surprise, as the illegal detention case had already been dismissed.

"Without any hearing on the motion for reconsideration, and without any additional evidence presented, nag-reverse ang DOJ. We are wondering why," Kapunan said.

According to De Lima, they requested a special raffle from the RTC-Makati because the case was urgent.

"It is so desperate on the part of the Secretary and so pathetic that they should do this to her," said Kapunan, who said there was an "orchestrated, deliberate campaign" against Napoles.

NBI agents rescued Luy on March 22 at the Pacific Plaza Tower, where he was detained for three months after Napoles and Lim allegedly abducted him on December 19, 2012.

Napoles, in a comment sent to the DOJ, claimed Luy was on spiritual retreat.

On June 10, the DOJ dismissed the case, saying it was "misled" in ordering Luy's "rescue," noting the supposed letter Luy sent to his parents denying that he was taken against his will.

However, NBI and Luy had filed for a motion of reconsideration, resulting in the reversal of the decision.

Appeal for surrender

Although Kapunan appealed to Napoles to surrender, she said she would understand if her client did not.

“We have not been able to talk to her. If she is listening now we are saying, please surrender, as her lawyer, but I can understand why she will not. If you have a process like this where the DOJ Sec assures your client that they will get their day in court, when you have a judge that issues a warrant of arrest even when there are two pending motions... will she believe in this justice system after she was assured a fair day in court or after she was assured that there will be an objective treatment?” Kapunan said.

She also noted that they were unable to monitor the case, which was assigned to a special raffle.

"Even without receiving a resolution and to protect our client's rights, we hastily prepared a motion for determination of probable cause which is her remedy under the circumstance. Pati 'yung kapatid niya ganun din," said Kapunan, adding that they have two pending motions with the RTC judge set for hearing on Friday.

"We are confident that at least the judge would give our clients their day in court," she said. —Carmela G. Lapeña/KG/HS, GMA News

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/322108/news/nation/napoles-still-at-large-now-considered-a-fugitive-after-arrest-warrant?ref=top_stories

PMT Shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Post only questions or comments here. Advertisements NOT ALLOWED.
  • miakashidou31: hi , meron po ba ditong nagta transfer sa paypal?
    Nov 05, 2019, 01:46 PM
  • whennedy: good noon po
    Oct 18, 2019, 12:04 PM
  • edzlpdac: goood day po sa lahat!
    Oct 12, 2019, 03:37 PM
  • bpc85: ask lng sana ako kung may makukuha ba kami ng Mama ko at ako or mga kapatid ko sa benepisyo ng aming Ama bilang membro ng AFPSLAI. thank you po.
    Sep 27, 2019, 12:52 PM
  • bpc85: Hi guys, im new here,.
    Sep 27, 2019, 12:52 PM
  • Anaperdi: Hi just want to know if meron dito who is into boundary hulog ng motorcycle? For mga riders ng courier. Pwede ba magpashare how it works? Naisip ko lang baka pwede ko ibusiness, meron na pala mga posts online pero di pa clear ang system sa akin. thank  you sa makakapansin
    Sep 21, 2019, 11:32 AM
  • Anaperdi: Hi newbie here..
    Sep 21, 2019, 11:19 AM
  • jprios: May contact ba kayo kung sakali?
    Sep 18, 2019, 06:11 PM
  • jprios: Sino pwedeng mahiraman dito?
    Sep 18, 2019, 06:09 PM
  • kfg52: Present!
    Sep 15, 2019, 07:26 PM
  • juju31: san po ba may nag papahiram dito
    Sep 14, 2019, 07:18 PM
  • juju31: hello
    Sep 14, 2019, 07:18 PM
  • FutureGizmo: Thanks julz! Medyo ganun nga trabaho namin ngayon, to monitor spam posts kasi ang daming spam bots. But thanks for reporting. Auto-ban agad ang spammers sa amin haha
    Sep 07, 2019, 12:17 PM
  • julz: @FutureGizmo si @nikkikv18 just posted more than 10 posts about porn sites. hay, spam.
    Sep 03, 2019, 01:05 PM
  • Cid_brent: sino po dyan pwede magbigay send ng paypal funds and I will pay you using gcash?
    Aug 25, 2019, 08:58 PM
  • Meghan91811: Sino po may alam about Rice Farming...
    Aug 25, 2019, 07:44 AM
  • roselove: hello po sa inyo... newbie here
    Aug 06, 2019, 03:31 PM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: Sino palaging active dito?
    Jul 30, 2019, 04:15 PM
  • dagocjasonrey: Anong update dito?
    Jul 22, 2019, 08:49 PM
  • mark_Lee: anong bago dito
    Jun 28, 2019, 01:03 AM
  • mark_Lee: balita
    Jun 28, 2019, 01:03 AM
  • Lovelyprincess72: hi everyone , I'm newbie here
    Jun 27, 2019, 02:36 PM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: Musta?
    Jun 26, 2019, 01:43 PM
  • Forexanalysis: Hello
    Jun 25, 2019, 06:33 PM
  • Niel Jhacoubs: Hello sa mga online jan! :)
    Jun 15, 2019, 02:58 PM
  • oragon: :applause:
    May 20, 2019, 03:53 PM
  • FutureGizmo: Thank you for reporting those spam posts, oragon! Spam posts now deleted.
    May 20, 2019, 01:59 PM
  • oragon: Admin kindly monitor some peps! posting and sharing inappropriate nude photos and website links
    May 20, 2019, 01:52 PM
  • @culinary10: Hello I am new here! Regarding sa bdo life insurance for 8 years, pwede pa kaya ma refund yung binayad ko na 50k last year? Gusto ko sana icancel kasi lack of financial na, last may 15 2018 po un nag start ako ng life insurance, pinili ko annually kaso etong may 15 2019 wala nako ma ipay so gusto ko sana icash out, may alam ba kayo kung pano marerefund?
    May 17, 2019, 07:56 PM
  • FutureGizmo: Hi Sonny, the posting issue is now resolved. Thanks for informing us! We're currently testing a new, mobile-ready theme so let us us know kung may problema pa sa Forum. :)
    Apr 04, 2019, 10:40 AM
  • sonny.wapak: Nakaka receive din ba kayo nito pag gawa ng new post? "Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator."
    Apr 03, 2019, 10:56 PM
  • leonine_zafiro: what product nun?
    Apr 01, 2019, 10:25 PM
  • dhondiex27: hi
    Mar 30, 2019, 10:55 PM
  • lusart: jayrob i agree 200%. hulog ng langit organico. legit na legit
    Mar 29, 2019, 09:08 AM
  • palemelch: Hi
    Mar 28, 2019, 04:08 PM
  • O.C.W._AK: Magandang Araw sa Lahat! Blessings! (",)
    Mar 28, 2019, 08:42 AM
  • thor15: hello everyone, newbie here
    Mar 25, 2019, 01:47 AM
  • captjaylo: present newbie here
    Mar 22, 2019, 10:06 AM
  • balboagilbert26: hello Guys .. Newbie here
    Mar 21, 2019, 10:55 PM
  • businesswoman2019: @jefsanity nag inquire na po ako pero di sila nagdidisclose. Yung branch po kasi na target ko, currently building pa.
    Mar 21, 2019, 04:27 PM
  • jefsanity: @businesswoman2019, much better inquire ka na lang sa admin nila.
    Mar 21, 2019, 01:51 PM
  • businesswoman2019: Hello! Any idea how much ang stall sa waltermart. 2m x 2m
    Mar 21, 2019, 08:28 AM
  • John Neil: Looking for an accredited iron foundry
    Mar 17, 2019, 03:19 PM
  • jayrob: Mark_Lee ung organico legit po yan..  Member din AQ..
    Mar 17, 2019, 12:57 AM
  • perlymelad: Hello po! Need advice, why my new MLM leaders failing?
    Mar 14, 2019, 08:51 PM
  • perlymelad: Present
    Mar 12, 2019, 07:53 PM
  • kennethmauricio: Hi saan po dito pwede mag post ng for sale properties?
    Mar 11, 2019, 07:58 PM
  • jefsanity: @mark_lee isipin mo anu passion mo at skills mo...
    Mar 11, 2019, 06:52 PM
  • sniperaj09: BAGO LANG
    Mar 10, 2019, 11:16 AM
  • mark_Lee: magandang investnent ngayon sa 30k suggest naman keo mga boss
    Mar 10, 2019, 03:07 AM