That’s all I can say about the news that eighteen (18) students of the University of the Philippines – Diliman (UP Diliman) are set to be awarded the highest academic award of summa cum laude in the University Graduation ceremony this Sunday, April 26, 2009.
In UP, a summa cum laude is a student who earned a final General Weighted Average (GWA) of 1.20 or above. The perfect grade is 1.00.
Leading the pack is Scott Riley K. Ong, a BS Biology major who has a GWA of 1.036. This means he got a grade of 1.00 in all of his subjects with the exception probably of one subject in which he got a 1.50 or two subjects each with 1.25 grade.
The complete list of these amazing students, their courses and GWAs are as follows.
The 18 summa cum laude graduates of UP Diliman
- Scott Riley K. Ong, BS Biology (1.036)
- Juan Lorenzo B. Pablo, BS Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (1.061)
- Maria Patricia Rouelli G. Sabino, BS Computer Engineering (1.082)
- Mikhail P. Solon, BS Physics (1.084)
- Joseph Ray Clarence G. Damasco, BS Mathematics (1.107)
- Frances Antoinette C. Cruz, BA European Languages (1.109)
- Laureen Carmela B. Lukban, BS Psychology (1.114)
- Anna P. Canlas. BA Broadcast Communication (1.117)
- Jan Carlo B. Punongbayan, BS Economics (1.151)
- Mark Joseph S. Tan, BS Chemical Engineering (1.16)
- Angelo Aresenio de Guzman Santos, BS Mathematics (1.169)
- Joseph Jeeben R. Segui, BS Mathematics (1.173)
- Christina Marianne G. Mantaring, BS Computer Engineering (1.178)
- Angelo C. Ani, BS Industrial Engineering (1.191)
- Luther Paul dela Rosa Caranguian, BS Electronics and Communications Engineering (1.192)
- Shyne De Vera Galapon, BS Chemistry (1.193)
- Andreo C. Alonzo, BA Journalism (1.198)
- Ma. Theresa S. Pamintuan, BS Business Administration and Accountancy (1.20)
If I am not mistaken, this is the highest number of summa cum laudes ever in the history of UP Diliman.
The College of Science has produced seven (7) summa cum laudes this year, four of them with a BS Mathematics degree.
The College of Engineering, arguably a college with tough courses, has five (5) top students this year.
Amazing, indeed. I just hope the brains of these students and all graduating students this year will be used to create a better Philippines.