How to renew, apply for new Philippine passport
If you are one of those still using the green or maroon Philippine passport, it’s time to get the new dark maroon-colored e-Passport because the validity of old green and maroon passports is only until November 2015.
Here are the steps you need to follow in order to get the new passport.
[box type=”download”]1. Set an appointment.[/box]
Unlike in the past, you need not line up anymore for several hours just to renew or to get the new passport. Actually, an appointment beforehand is required and your application will not be processed if you do not have one. There are two ways to set an appointment with the Department of Foreign Affairs:
- Call the DFA Appointment Hotline at (02) 737-1000 anytime from Monday to Saturday, 8 am to 5 pm; or
- Set an online appointment here: DFA Passport Online Appointment System
Metro Manila applicants can choose to apply in one of five DFA branches: (1) DFA ASEANA Business Park in Paranaque; (2) DFA Manila in Arroceros; (3) DFA Galleria in Robinsons Galleria; (4) DFA Megamall in SM Megamall; and (5) DFA Alabang in Metro Alabang Town Center.
Those in the provinces may simply drop by any DFA regional consular offices without the need for an appointment.
[box type=”info”]2. Prepare all required application documents.[/box]
Make sure you are ready with all required documents before showing up on your appointment date. The basic required documents are:
- printout of your Application Form in long bond paper (download link is emailed to you after completing the online application);
- copy of Birth Certificate in security paper issued by the National Statistics Office (NSO) or Certified True Copy of Birth Certificate issued by the Local Civil Registrar and duly authenticated by the NSO;
- at least one (1) government-issued ID to prove identity (may be driver’s license, SSS or GSIS ID, PRC ID, OWWA ID, etc.); and
- old passport (for renewal application)
There is no need to bring passport-size photos because photo capture will be done at the DFA branch on your appointment date.
Other documents may be required in the following cases:
- newly-married woman applying for the first time under the new surname
- spouse of a foreign national
- minors (below 18 years old)
- Muslim applicants
Complete documentary requirements for such applicants can be found here.
[box type=”tick”]3. Show up on your appointment date with the required documents.[/box]
On your approved appointment date, make a personal appearance in your chosen DFA branch at least 30 minutes before the appointment time.
Present your printed application form to the Appointment Counter, get a queue number and wait for your number to be called. Once called, simply proceed to the “Processing” counter where a staff will validate your application.
[box type=”info”]4. Pay the passport processing fee.[/box]
Once your application is confirmed, proceed to the “Payment” counter to pay the passport processing fee.
Fee is P950.00 for regular processing (15 working days), while for express processing (7 working days), fee is P1,200.00.
[box type=”tick”]5. Proceed to “Encoding” section for photo and data capture.[/box]
This is the last step in processing your passport. Your photo is taken, your fingerprints are captured and your basic personal information are stored in the system.
Unfortunately, this could last hours if there are several applicants also waiting for their turn.
Some rules when taking the photo:
- No smiling!
- You must close your mouth, your teeth cannot show, and you must have a “poker-face” expression!
- Eyeglasses and contact lens must be removed.
- Look directly to the camera.
That’s it! They will then inform you when your passport will be ready.
[box]6. Optional Step: Have your passport delivered to your home.[/box]
If you don’t want to pick up the passport in the DFA office, you may choose to have it delivered straight to your doorsteps. Just pay the delivery fee in the “Courier” or “Delivery” counter before you leave the DFA premises. They will inform you about the exact date when the passport will be delivered to your place.