Performance returns of mutual funds in the Philippines (as of 11/17/2006)
November 20, 2006
Updated January 2009: Performance of Philippine Mutual Funds in 2008
Following is a summary of performance returns of Philippine mutual funds as of the week ended November 17, 2006.
As always, when analyzing mutual funds you should not simply look at the NAVPS or Net Asset Value per Share. This number does not necessarily tell you whether the fund is performing well or not, but the change of the NAVPS over time does. Never assume that a fund with a high NAVPS means it is generating high returns. You need to look at actual returns of the fund over a certain time horizon.
Highlights of this week’s results
- All funds recorded positive growth on a week to week basis, with First Metro Save and Learn Equity Fund consistently surging ahead of the other funds while United Fund, Inc. continuing to underperform the industry.
- This week’s top three equity funds in terms of YTD return: (1) First Metro Save and Learn Equity Fund – 61.61%; (2) Philequity Fund, Inc. – 46.70%; (3) ATR-Kim Eng Equity Opportunity Fund – 38.21%.
- While other balanced funds grew on a week-by-week basis, underperformer Legacy HY Fund, Inc. even shed off some returns from last week.
- SunLife’s Dollar Advantage Fund lost a few percentage points this week.
- This week’s top three equity funds in terms of YTD return: (1) GSIS Kinabukasan Fund – 35.83%; (2) MFCP Kabuhayan Fund – 32.34%; (3) Philam Fund, Inc. – 31.48%.
- All peso-denominated bond funds gained on a week to week basis with the only exception of Legacy GS Fund, Inc. which lost some points this week.
- All foreign currency-denominated bond funds also grew this week compared to last week, except for ALFM Euro Bond Fund, Inc. and Grepalife Dollar Bond Fund (USD$).
- This week’s top three peso bond funds in terms of YTD return: (1) Ekklesia Mutual Fund – 17.84%; (2) Prudential Fixed Income Fund, Inc. – 14.36%; (3) Philam Bond Fund, Inc. – 12.74%.
- This week’s top three foreign currency-denominated bond funds in terms of YTD return: (1) Sunlife Prosperity Dollar Abundance Fund (USD$) – 7.32%; (2) Grepalife Dollar Bond Fund (USD$) – 6.99%; (3) Philam Dollar Bond Fund, Inc. (USD$) – 6.80%.
Money market funds
- On a week to week basis, Sun Life Prosperity Money Market Fund advanced again while Legacy TD Fund, Inc. lost some ground.
Discuss this in the Mutual funds, UITF and other investments board in the PMT Forum.
More about Mutual Funds:
- Investing in Mutual Funds
- 2008 Performance of Philippine Mutual Funds
- Best Mutual Funds in the Philippines in 2007
- Discussion Forum: Mutual Funds and UITF